Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
I'll add one more thumbs up post here. The N900 is essentially the last of Nokia's "Internet Tablet" lineup (the N9 has more up to date hardware, but sacrifices a lot of the features of the N900), and as such, is pretty much the only general-purpose computer in a cell phone form factor even today.

Every device released in the last couple of years has been, in my opinion, either an iPhone or an iPhone clone -- beautiful to look at, but designed with innumerable walls stopping you from performing any "unauthorized" activities. The N900 is truly open; not only can you customize the look and feel, you are given access to every feature of the device. Full access to the file system! No limits on adding your own software. No limits on removing or replacing software either. Heck, replace the kernel itself!

Nobody makes devices like the N900 any more...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
Plenty of storage (32GB + up to 64GB cards)
endless ways of customization (system, appearance, O/C)
skype, msn, etc etc.. the whole deal
dual speakers
irda / bluetooth / wifi / gps
fm transmitter
fm radio
notification led
quad boot
tv-out
virtual mouse mode on the browser
fantastic microB browser with flash 10
a good carl zeiss camera with dual led flash and great autofocus
numerous videogame emulators (the qwerty makes the difference here!!)
great music player via headphones
camera lens cover & kickstand
qwerty with plenty of keyboard shortcuts (pc-like)
x-terminal
and last but not least:
the CSSU project that keeps updating the phone with new features
and .... Maemo5 which has a PC-like multitasking.
greatest multitasking I've ever seen in a pocketable device.

so yeah, the N900 is a great device even now.

Last edited by HELLASISGREECE; 2012-11-18 at 16:31.

The Following User Says Thank You to HELLASISGREECE For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dragonalas View Post
Dave99

MINKIN2

Yeah price is kind of something I have to take into account here. It seems that I need to watch my money more than I thought initially, so this is going to be a hassle. The thing is though, that I absolutely refuse to have a used item. It's kind of a mental thing which makes me a very strict person in that matter, especially when it comes to years of use. Sure if someone has used it for a day and didn't like it, that MIGHT be an option. But 3 years? No thanks. I guess I'll have to save up for the new deal thanks for the reply and tips though, I'll definitely look out for fakes. There seem to be some originals but they're mostly over 350 USD.
Then you should probably check out this item: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nokia-N900-3...item27ccffe37b

Allegedly new, you might get this one for less than the $ 350 other sellers are asking. They ship worldwide.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tschaka For This Useful Post:
Hi,

I am looking to get out of windows, but since I last checked there was no mobile device that could sync contact/calendar/files/tasks with thunderbird (or similar program,) without putting all the info into google's cloud.

Right now I am using Palm Treo Pro with windows and outlook (total drag.) However there are features that I can't do without: qwerty keyboard, 3.5mm jack, spreadsheets/calendar/contacts/tasks/office, and it syncs with outlook (I am not at all attached to outlook and would prefer and open source version like thundirbird).

Is there an option out there in the open source world (without the cloud) with these features? I'm hoping to stay under 200$ (for the phone device), but I would look into anything if necessary. Also I need something pretty easy to use because I am not very tech savy. Also I am not going to hook up the phone to tower connection, and don’t use wireless in my house, so the sync has to happen over USB.
Do you think the N900 is the answer? Are there any other solutions that are more up to date? Also, can the N900 run android apps?

Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to sniffingratty For This Useful Post:
Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
It seems to me that if you want a great smartphone
a) with a hardware keyboard and
b) not place your life in the hands of Google (which is what Android acutally means),
no better choice has come up yet.
N900 is slow though, too weak hardware. A number of community fixes are available from CSSU to power kernel, overclocking (which I don't do) and Thumb2, but still I regularly get situations that it doesn't handle well (and I'm not THAT much of a power user) - the most annyoing being incoming calls that I can't take because the phone app just doesn't show on screen before it goes to voicemail, the phone keeps ringin while I just standby helplessly, feeling very stupid. More than like 4 apps open or the wrong suffice to make this happen.
You can actually find lots of other devices with hardware keyboards, all of them android. Blackberry has gone all touchscreen as well, it's just sad...

The Following User Says Thank You to bennypr0fane For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
best device ever. I have two spares. i use it secondary to my work device, as i love the social integration, web browser and customization. you will love it.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
I am not too worried about processing power. I won't even be using it as a phone.

all it has to do is:

have calendar (with reminders), contacts, music, and spreadsheet. other stuff would be nice, but if it can do that stuff then I would go with it.

What program do you use to sync with it?

The Following User Says Thank You to sniffingratty For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,238 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
best device ever. I have two spares. i use it secondary to my work device, as i love the social integration, web browser and customization. you will love it.
am i reading it right ? you love N900. great.

The Following User Says Thank You to panjgoori For This Useful Post:
Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
Originally Posted by panjgoori View Post
am i reading it right ? you love N900. great.
yeah..
it's the N9 hate that keeps this gimmick running

The Following User Says Thank You to HELLASISGREECE For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
just gave up my last N9 for free. hate is understatement. Jussa would be in Siberia if I was his boss

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: