Active Topics

Originally Posted by reinob View Post
You said

so a lot of people (including me) are wondering if you can provide more information about this.

/etc is part of the rootfs, which AFAIK is completely re-written by NOLO during flashing.

/opt itself is also part of the rootfs, but is usually bind-mounted to /home/opt, which is part of the eMMC. I would also expect that eMMC flashing would completely rewrite the eMMC, but have not actually investigated how this flashing is exactly done (it's not done by NOLO, but by Maemo itself.)

so if you know something we don't (still) know, please share it
There are 2 images for flashing; rootfs and eMMC. The eMMC image actually contains very little. It's 200MB size is made up from the free mp3 songs, 2 videos and the user guide in every conceivable language. When you flash eMMC you wipe it in its entirety. NOTHING survives.

rootfs contains the meat. Now this is the clever bit, when you run an n900 after flashing the rootfs AND the eMMC the n900 knows it is the first time it has been run after a reflash (by setting a flag in a file) and creates /opt at boot time. See the events.d 'run once optification' script thing.

So, flash both eMMC and rootfs and the device will be nuked.

The Following User Says Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
I am going to reflash my eyes I guess, for I thought I was reading a comment by _vi when I commented previously.

Code:
sudo eyeflasher1.2 -F --remove "previous_impressions_0.1.fremantle" -R "new_image_correct_usernames" -f

The Following User Says Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
So, flash both eMMC and rootfs and the device will be nuked.
Exactly. That's why anthonie, you (presumably) and I (for sure) want additional information from michaaa62, who wrote:

Edit: This may sound complicated, but lots of setting and even applications survive a flash in /etc and /opt folders.

The Following User Says Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
I hate to do it, but it seems, i have to chew my words.

I was under the impression, that changes i made earlier did survive the flash, like ssh settings and preenv games. BUT i do not find any evidence after the latest flash of the fiasco image...

Must admit, i spoke too soon, and wrong i were!

Last edited by michaaa62; 2012-11-15 at 17:22.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post:
Yeah, Eat your words! EAT IT!

It should be noted that if you ONLY flash rootfs, most of your settings and data survives as it is stored on the eMMC and and the n900 does not go through the create /opt process again (the flag is still set as it is stored on the eMMC).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
How To Hard Reset The N900 To The Factory State

^ This is a very user friendly guide. Anyone can do it.

source: The Handheld Blog

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by HELLASISGREECE View Post
How To Hard Reset The N900 To The Factory State

^ This is a very user friendly guide. Anyone can do it.

source: The Handheld Blog
Taken from http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_firmware

Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
Taken from http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_firmware
Ah, it's the same? copy paste?

anyway, yeah! this one

**I think my link has it more... "simplified". At least to my noob eyes : )

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by michaaa62 View Post
I hate do it, but it seems i have to chew my words.

I was under the impression, that changes i made earlier did survive the flash, like ssh settings and preenv games. BUT i do not find any evidence after the latest flash of the fiasco image...

Must admit, i spoke too soon, and wrong i were!
It's OK

Let me save you a little: flashing (in all forms, I *believe*) does NOT wipe the /dev/mtd2 partition (where kernel oopses are stored).

The Following User Says Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post: