Active Topics

Originally Posted by storkus View Post
Apparently you're not the one that's clear--here's the press release from Sisvel themselves:

http://www.sisvel.com/english/news/sisvelnews/vegas

Of particular interest are these two bits, first the very first sentence:

That sounds like the patents were sold to me. This further confirms it:

Obviously Nokia wouldn't need a license after the sale if it wasn't a sale, would they?

So, to answer the OP's question, I'm fuming and furious. EVERY SINGLE NOKIA HEADLINE makes me more and more angry. As much as I like my N900, I'm ready to ditch it because I can no longer stand to look at the Nokia name any longer. Seriously, I'm that pissed!

Mike

P.S. Just to remind you all of how evil this patent troll is, they went after OpenMOKO!

http://www.csamuel.org/2008/11/14/pa...enmoko-project
I guess it's how you look at it. It's just a normal business.

Mosaid was by far the bigger deal with much over 2000 patents changed hands, Mosaid saying that the patents where essential at being able to make a call in this age.

Patents changed hands for free. Mosaid takes control of the patents. Those patents where already in the hold of Core Wireless Licensing Company previously, now Mosaid made them their own entity. So not much changed there other than we don't know the cash side of the deal and Mosaid going after for patents more agressively most probably.

Same goes for Sisvel. It's normal patent managing, especially fo Nokia like patent portfolio.

What Sisvel is actually doing is taking over from Nokia (as it also does for some other companies) the boring and paperwork full process of licencing the patents. And for those who want to bring a new line of handsets to market, providing a one stop shop where they can sign up with Sisvel once and once only to get all of the patents they need. Or access to licences on those patents that is.

So no need to run around ten or twenty different firms trying to buy access to the technologies needed. And perhaps more important than that, no change of finding out that you’ve made a mistake and are using something you need a licence for (as with Google‘s Android using Microsoft‘s FAT stack). - forbes

Originally Posted by stickymick View Post
Maybe they thought 'Patent Trolls? If you can't beat 'em......... join 'em'.
You know, I really, desperately hope you're wrong, but my massive gut says you're right. M$ wants their $ back, but for whatever reason Nokia won't give them the portfolio directly. Answer: use a 3rd party troll to whack the knees of other companies with the Nokia portfolio while M$ does it directly with their own portfolio. (I just thought of this as I wrote it, and it makes a horrible, queasy, "OMG! That's their master plan!" feeling...)

Crap like this really makes me want to go to bed and cry to sleep because it's just a tiny part of the big picture happening everywhere: the massive surveillance, draconian laws, etc. It's basically what science fiction authors have been warning us about for the last 2-3 decades: a CORPORATE Orwellian Dystopia where there are no individual rights and all fights are basically between corporations (and the largest grandfathered private companies), either directly or using their puppet governments.

Sorry, I know I'm losing it here...

Mike

Originally Posted by tissot View Post
Same goes for Sisvel. It's normal patent managing, especially fo Nokia like patent portfolio.
The Forbes link is broken tissot. Sounds like an interesting read.

Originally Posted by storkus View Post
You know, I really, desperately hope you're wrong, but my massive gut says you're right. M$ wants their $ back, but for whatever reason Nokia won't give them the portfolio directly. Answer: use a 3rd party troll to whack the knees of other companies with the Nokia portfolio while M$ does it directly with their own portfolio. (I just thought of this as I wrote it, and it makes a horrible, queasy, "OMG! That's their master plan!" feeling...)

Crap like this really makes me want to go to bed and cry to sleep because it's just a tiny part of the big picture happening everywhere: the massive surveillance, draconian laws, etc. It's basically what science fiction authors have been warning us about for the last 2-3 decades: a CORPORATE Orwellian Dystopia where there are no individual rights and all fights are basically between corporations (and the largest grandfathered private companies), either directly or using their puppet governments.

Sorry, I know I'm losing it here...

Mike
It's a believable situation.
If you've been reading the news lately, you'll see why..
Apple wins patent on slide to unlock feature.

Sounds like clutching at straws again to me.

I also agree they are lowering their market value for an upcoming MS (or other company) buyout. If you look at Nokia's recent (18-14 months) moves, that is the logical conclusion one can make. By itself, this news is nothing special. But in the context of recent past decisions, it reeks of sellout.

What is left in Nokia's portfolio (compared to three years ago)? What I still can't understand, however, is that the Finns let all this happen.