Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
people here have to get real. petition?! do you really beleive this would help!? this is ****ing big bussines and microsoft is as selfish asholes like the oilindustry! its to ****ing big money for nokia/microsoft to get away from microsoft.

and about android: endof 2012.android has loosed ALOT of its market cause of nokia+microsoft patent deals etc... same for apple...

every damn kid will by wpphones too cause of he integration with xbox and similar and also integration with windows on desktop.

so be happy to have the last cool linuxdevice like n9.

end of 2012 everything has changed to bader for the FOSS gurus

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
If you want to change NOKIA leadership you will first have to buy a lot of NOKIA stock, which, by the way, is going at a fairly decent price nowdays. Down over 30% for the year... Further, the decrease of stock price is not due to NOKIA's ecosystem but rather its elopsystem.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 45 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Helsinki
It's not reasonousable to wrote it here. Ofcource windows is full of trojans. But Elop is just one person who's working in Nokia.

There are more room at internet than one Maemo community portal for shout it out.

...Reason for change chief would came from stock holders.

Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by petrelli View Post
Well, if windows was open source, now nobody would doubt that the change from Meego to Windows has been a GREAT thing. Suddenly Nokia is competing now at the same level as Android's and Apple, with only half of a year. Great. A huge success.

The problem here is that Windows is a closed business. But who cares about it? Nokia is not a non-profit organisation. The fact that we like more opensource SO's does not mean that anybody is forced to build a business around it.
Please don't confuse free as in freedom with free as in free beer!
I'm a big fan of Free Software but due to practical reasons I'd rather switch to a closed unixoid system like Solaris than to an open NT system like ReactOS (even if it were fully functional) if Linux and BSD were to die tomorrow. I highly appreciate the relatively open structure of Maemo, but more than that I value it to be a *nix system.
So to answer your question: I care!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
I like the straight "off the cuff" honesty going on here. Did any of you guys read the first response in this thread regarding Barnes and Noble versus Microsoft?

Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
Who cares? The damage is done and NOKIA lost. Just move on and enjoy the N9

The word 'ecosystem' in this context is a euphemism for locking in consumers by taking advantage of (and often forcing) network externalities. This is what MS managed to do in the desktop OS market. Your boss uses Windoze, so you must use Windoze. Smartphone manufacturers are now starting to use the same tactics in the mobile sphere, and sadly it appears to be working.
I don't think the ecosystem (i.e. services like itunes, gmail etc.) is what made the iphone and android big (meaning todays huge marketshares). Its the combination of a good OS combined with good dev. tools, which allows 3th party dev. to make services available on your handset. Nokia should have stayed out of the services business (except maybe maps, where economics of scale make it worthwile) and concentrated on providing good hardware and OS+Qt tools.

You can still integrate 3th party services in your OS if you want tight integration, like its done with messaging on the N9.

Really, I hope that i never ever heard "ecosystem" out of Animal Planet It reminds me of bad'old'time, when we had communist propaganda, here in Poland Crafting words, that can mean anything in any context, but de facto doesn't mean anything (important).
lol, i know exactly what you mean. If you hear elop talk, he keeps repeating "ecosystem" til you head spins. In the end you get the impression it just means everything and nothing.

Last edited by Rugoz; 2011-11-17 at 07:21.

While a good effort I am not sure this will help.
Nokia will end when MS buys it cheap in 2-3 years.

Posts: 311 | Thanked: 376 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Hungary
With Nokia WP7 devices out in the open, the real problem is not visible anymore. Elop delivered what he promised - the WP7 phones. It is another question, what WP7 means to Nokia in the long run, and how it will make it smaller and less independent; people will only see the shiny new Lumia 800 and believe that alls right with the Nokia. I guess Elop can stay in his position for years now, and there is a high chance he will never be challenged for crippling Nokia.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
It's not only the windows phone move that's bad. It's the execution too. Why announce the switch a year before you have any devices to sell?

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob