Active Topics

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Look, I have no problem using beta- or even aplha-quality software. I don't mind (much) if a wayward program hoses my system, because that's why God created backups, right?

But I definitely, categorically, don't-ask-me-to-do-this-dude, draw the line at software that can brick my hardware. So unless someone has come up with a clear and final explanation-cum-solution as to why and how this new firmware hoses memory cards, it's not going on my system and I will keep being extremely vocal about this.

Nokia should be ashamed for not being at least a little bit upfront about this.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
Look, I have no problem using beta- or even aplha-quality software. I don't mind (much) if a wayward program hoses my system, because that's why God created backups, right?

But I definitely, categorically, don't-ask-me-to-do-this-dude, draw the line at software that can brick my hardware. So unless someone has come up with a clear and final explanation-cum-solution as to why and how this new firmware hoses memory cards, it's not going on my system and I will keep being extremely vocal about this.

Nokia should be ashamed for not being at least a little bit upfront about this.
Nokia doesn't need to. If people don't want to use their expensive cards properly, its their fault, not Nokia's. Maybe people don't know that changes to the cards aren't instant and even if the OS (any OS) says its done, it's usually not done until a few seconds later. l

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Nokia doesn't need to. If people don't want to use their expensive cards properly, its their fault, not Nokia's. Maybe people don't know that changes to the cards aren't instant and even if the OS (any OS) says its done, it's usually not done until a few seconds later. l
"l" ??? Don't tell me your card gave up there.

BTW, changes to cards and non-instantaneous updates, that I can live with. Destroyed cards, no.

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Scotland
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
But I definitely, categorically, don't-ask-me-to-do-this-dude, draw the line at software that can brick my hardware.
Sound stuff there Karel. May I use that line for a signature ?

Tant

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
If people don't want to use their expensive cards properly, its their fault, not Nokia's. Maybe people don't know that changes to the cards aren't instant and even if the OS (any OS) says its done, it's usually not done until a few seconds later. l
Woah there!

Take just one possible scenario... the N800 is being used and data written to the memory card, the battery runs flat, the device shuts down, and the memory card is at best corrupted and at worst no longer useable in any device known to Man. This is how I corrupted my 8GB Transcend card (although fortunately it wasn't terminal).

Is this really user error? I'm sure we've all been in this situation. There are many ways to trash a memory card on an N800, some of those ways could be described as user abuse while others simple, normal and acceptable behaviour. It's not fair to blame the user every time a memory card goes to Flash Memory Heaven.

I would say that the new browser, with its potential extensions, as well as the new rtcomm stack make it a worthy upgrade. Plus, how can you help me debug zfone otherwise?

I've yet to see any memory card nuking, and I've noticed that with this firmware I can use the memory card with the door open --- it gives me a warning when I open the door, which I usually pay attention to. That said, trashing flash memory is HARD these days.

Fortunately I have had zero issues with my original cards (the 128MB from Nokia and a 1GB from Kingston). I'm holding back on buying the SDHC card I want to use as internal storage, until the card problem has been sorted out.
I didn't think of the improved touch screen sensitivity! That was maybe the nicest surprice with the upgrade, I'm now so used to it I had already forgotten all about it!

Originally Posted by aleksandyr View Post
I've yet to see any memory card nuking, and I've noticed that with this firmware I can use the memory card with the door open --- it gives me a warning when I open the door, which I usually pay attention to.
That is actually scary, because it means the Nokia drones have indeed been fscking with read/write control mechanisms, and the magnetic switch is no longer a hardware cut-out for the cardreader. If this is truly the case, then someone at Nokia should be shot...

That said, trashing flash memory is HARD these days.
Yeah, but Nokia makes it so easy...

Originally Posted by aleksandyr View Post
[...]and I've noticed that with this firmware I can use the memory card with the door open --- it gives me a warning when I open the door, which I usually pay attention to.
I'm not sure I understand.. to me it seems to work exactly as before - if I open any of the doors then the card immediately unmounts, and when I close the door the card re-mounts and there's a message saying the card is available. No message when the door is opened, it just unmounts.

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
I'm not sure I understand.. to me it seems to work exactly as before - if I open any of the doors then the card immediately unmounts, and when I close the door the card re-mounts and there's a message saying the card is available. No message when the door is opened, it just unmounts.
Everybody shout: Jay confusion!