Moderator | Posts: 3,716 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
sh*t *ss ugly tiles... that's unique for sure

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Allow me to preface my answer with the fact that I'm disregarding any comparisons to Maemo 5, Linux and the Nokia N9. I'm also ignoring Ballmer and Elop. With that said...

Some people want Windows Phone 7, or WP7 hereon, because it offers true connectivity to MS Exchange, MS Sharepoint Server and have a corporate setup that utilizes those for scheduling, file sharing and whatnot. Portable MS Office without having to install an alternate OS just for OpenOffice or likewise can get a bit intense - but totally doable.

Some people want the games and Xbox Live integration. Having modern games that dole out achievements that are closely knit to your XBL account is seen as a good thing. I mean, I have a few games on my WP7 phone that I know I'll never see on older devices.

Don't want to use MS Exchange? IMAP, POP3 and Gmail are integrated quite well. All of my contacts (since I own an Android phone) are on my main Gmail account. I connect, sync the e-mail and contacts and I have all of the numbers that I tend to keep on my phone.

The UI... that's the part that I like and dislike. The UI is deceptively simple. Just a bunch of big *** squares with an oversized font and some scrolling. But honestly? It's that simplicity that lends itself to a faster experience going from the home screen to Twitter to posting an update. In fact, it's only simpler if you have a widget. But it's far from being customizable. Want control over how things look besides colors? Tough luck.

It's not Android... main reason for some folks... which surprises me. Android is a great OS. I actually like it quite well. But it's not exactly battery friendly - mind you, my Atrix goes all day, EASILY. In fact, my Atrix is on day 2 right now of usage, and I actually do call people and sync my 5 Gmail accounts as they happen without delay. It does seem to last all day, easily.

Mango adds "multi-tasking". Let me be blunt here... this is merely task switching. Some things work in the background, some things aren't optimized quite yet, some things just "freeze" and maintain their state. Without this task-switching, WP7 was not an OS I even liked outside of the fast UI.

Sure, folks will state that they do not like the lack of customization. Folks will say that they don't like the lack of openness. Some folks will state that they don't like Ballmer or Elop. Ignoring all of that, I will say that it is quite a limited experience. But as far as making phone calls, staying swift (UI), never really bogging down, integrating into my (unfortunately) corporate intranet/network... and entertaining me, it's a decent mobile OS. And by decent, I'd place it above prior editions of Android - Gingerbread won me over, I love Honeycomb despite its decidedly unbaked/unfinished OS feel. It's a consistent experience.

Things like the Me Tile, IE9 - which is LEAGUES above the pre-Mango WP7, music/Zune, Maps (Bing maps, I know.. but damn it's fast on lock) and for the apps that have it, the Live Tiles work great - I use Phonealytics for Google Analytics, I've never opened it since I set it up since I can see my targets, weekly site reads, and percentage (positive or negative) to my set up favorite sites.

The apps are growing. I don't have an FTP client, nor a SSH client, I can't admin my server from the phone... wait, those are negatives. Huge negatives. But there are some apps that are actually done quite well. And are constantly getting updated.

But it matters on what you want to do. If you're looking for a pocket computer, you're out of luck. If you're looking for a phone that won't stutter or hang when you're answering the phone and it has to rotate, you're in luck. And if you're looking for something that's a bit more finished and polished, well... I'd suggest using it first.

WP7 isn't a bad OS. It gets a really ****ed up rep around here, but it's easier to use than folks think. It's actually not bad when you're using it. And I went at WP7 thinking I was gonna hate it. Like seriously... I had no love for WP7. But now? I'm liking more than I dislike.

That's my take. Feel free to ask any questions.

The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
XD. I actually laughed out loud when I read that. (previous poster)

Microsoft should've bought Blackberry. It would make life simplier. In most cases, Microsoft gets defended because it would be nice for people who use their phone in the office but Microsoft, being microsoft, wanted to be more than "A office OS". I hope Microsoft figure out they'd be perfect to take the place of RIM because, imo, WP7 is better than RIM.

Excuse how badly written this is, I'm tired.

Last edited by OwenIsMeeGo; 2011-08-19 at 00:23.

I am going to wait and see Nokia's windows incarnation,Nokia do make good phones so who knows maybe it won't be as bad as we think!!!

We didn't complain about the hardware.... or well, I haven't seen any complains saying because Nokia went to WP7, the hardware will be worse. We have a problem with the software.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by OwenIsMeeGo View Post
We didn't complain about the hardware.... or well, I haven't seen any complains saying because Nokia went to WP7, the hardware will be worse. We have a problem with the software.
People are complaining about the hardware. It's the same for each damn phone... Qualcomm chipsets. Not OMAP 4. And honestly? It's not optimized like other OS's are for their chipset.

Not complaining about the hardware would be new.

I didn't see any of that but I am pretty new here.

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by shallimus View Post
What makes people want to buy WP7 devices? What are the unique selling points of WP7 (including Mango which people keep telling me is so amazing)?
Elop is that you? Isn't it too late to consult us?

j/k. Just a while ago some people asked me similar questions, whether WP7 phones could be able to collaborate with their all-Microsoft platforms, i.e. Exchange, Sharepoint, etc.

I told them, what makes you think you want a platform obsoleted by its creator?

Microsoft insisted that Windows 8/ARM targets tablets, and we all know it's BS at the technical point of view. Why would people want a WP7 when Windows 8/ARM could be able to run on any ARM-based mobile platforms?

Just don't like the wp7 UI much, although I have not used mango.
Fonts too big, animations too distracting, prefer traditional tabs and drill-down to panorama and pivot views. In general too much space is wasted, although this is probably just the impression i get. The maps app is pretty bad from what i have seen.

Other than that, its rather nice and fluid to use.

Originally Posted by OwenIsMeeGo View Post
You missed my point, my point was maybe Nokia can do a better job than microsoft!!!!

Until I see Nokia's version I will reserve judgement!!!