This is great, thanks.

This isnt a request just an idea...If the sd driver could be modified to unmount the mmc gracefully when the back cover was removed as opposed to just outright cutting the power. That be...sweet. Just think, if I remove the back cover while my swap was mounted on the SD card it would nicely unmount swap as opposed to rudely cutting it of, the machine spazzing out then dieing.

Or EVEN better, the driver would emit a dbus signal so I could run a script when the back cover was removed and nicely swap the swap elsewhere, beep/vibrate when it is done. Bleep nastily if I opened the back with the sd card mounted.

You get what I mean?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by stlpaul View Post
Here is the module compiled as part of power47, it works for me.
Not sure what has happened here but I replaced my power 47 module with this thing and wham! reboot loop. I cannot even mount the emmc through backup menu to restore. Im gonna have to reflash.

How exactly did you test this thing?

Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
the driver would emit a dbus signal
>_<

It reminds me Toshiba ac100 and nvidia terga driver +)
----

Anyway, i'm going to test this module later, these errors is annoying when downloading torrents on my n900.

Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Not sure what has happened here but I replaced my power 47 module with this thing and wham! reboot loop. I cannot even mount the emmc through backup menu to restore. Im gonna have to reflash.

after reflash i think you should install multiboot to get rid of such reboot loops in future (correct me if I'm wrong)

Yes, I am keen to see if this driver (once debugged/tested) increases MMC performance.

I have a 16GB class 4, and when copying from the EMMC to the MicroSD, I would get very low average transfer speeds once the kernel's buffers were full. On the order of 200-400 kBps. Using the card for swap made my phone into a dog.

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land

I'm very sorry to hear that, but I'm not sure how that would happen.

I renamed old module (as a backup), copied in the new one, rebooted, used a class 10 SD card that previously had problems, experienced no errors.

This is great, thanks.

This isnt a request just an idea...If the sd driver could be modified to unmount the mmc gracefully when the back cover was removed as opposed to just outright cutting the power. That be...sweet. Just think, if I remove the back cover while my swap was mounted on the SD card it would nicely unmount swap as opposed to rudely cutting it of, the machine spazzing out then dieing.
I believe it already does that, for the standard first FAT partition on the SD card, but it only succeeds if it's not in use at the time. If it can't be unmounted cleanly, then it's just cut off.

Obviously if you're using it for swap, it is always in use, and that's always going to result in catastrophic failure.

I think one solution is to create your own "unmount SD card" script, make a Queen Beecon widget on your desktop or something to call it when you want to remove your cover. It would need to alert you if any partitions cannot be unmounted for any reason, that way you know it is not safe to remove the back cover.

Even better yet, glue a magnet onto the sensor so your N900 thinks the cover is always on.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stlpaul For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by misiak View Post
after reflash i think you should install multiboot to get rid of such reboot loops in future (correct me if I'm wrong)
I personally use multiboot, I have my boot choices as standard kernel, power kernel, nitdroid, backupmenu. If I break one kernel for some reason I always have the other as a safety net. The down-side is that modules for all possible kernels must be installed at once, which eats a large amount of rootfs space.

Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by stlpaul View Post
I'm very sorry to hear that, but I'm not sure how that would happen.

I renamed old module (as a backup), copied in the new one, rebooted, used a class 10 SD card that previously had problems, experienced no errors.
I tried the patched kernel module for the stock kernel and this resulted in a reboot loop too . The irony is that I haven't installed multiboot yet because I wanted to get my MircoSD card working before installing multiple OSs. Time to reflash I guess. It looks like I followed the same procedure you did to test it. I also made sure that the patched kernel module file permissions and ownership matched the original one.

I think when you replace the default kernel you will get the reboot loop problem. So, just replace for power kernel.

I´ve tested here, all good so far. Thank you!!!