Active Topics

Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
LOL, well I still think meego would have been the better OS.

But lets face some facts here. At some points this whole apps ******** will be over. Everything will be HTML5, so your own developer tools are not that important anymore.

What matters are all the services you provide, and the hardware. So focusing on those two is important.

I just fear that Nokia will loose lots of brand value.
Come on people. Wake up -- Nokia is dead, finished, regardless of whether the WinPhone OS sells well or not.

If WinPhone tanks, then Nokia is dead. (Since they have placed all their bets on the WinPhone and just destroyed whatever backup plan they might have had.)

In WinPhone is successful, then Nokia is also dead. In this case Microsoft sends Nokia a kiss and goes on to sell OEM licenses to HTC, LG, Samsung, etc. Nokia is left to compete as just-another-OEM on a playing field where they cannot win.

This so-called "partnership" benefits Microsoft and only Microsoft: it gives WinPhone (a very unfinished OS and a very risky platform) a buffer of one-two years to beta-test on a large, international base of consumers.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tkatchev For This Useful Post:
New Symbian UI it seems.

http://forum2.mobile-review.com/show...postcount=1246

I wonder why can't Nokia just keep Symbian alive for low end and truly keep the Qt alive and kicking inside Nokia.

Last edited by tissot; 2011-02-13 at 19:00.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
In WinPhone is successful, then Nokia is also dead. In this case Microsoft sends Nokia a kiss and goes on to sell OEM licenses to HTC, LG, Samsung, etc. Nokia is left to compete as just-another-OEM on a playing field where they cannot win.
I don't know the details of the deal, so I won't rule that out.
But if Nokia provides key services to the wp7 ecosystem MS cannot easily get rid of them.

The problem is nobody knows nokia is behind those services, so they are not associated with the nokia brand.

Honestly I still think Symbian/Meego/Qt and OVI services would have been the better option, but I can at least see a logic behind the decision.

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 162 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Germany
So Nokia presents no new hardware on the MWC? There are no W7 prototypes ready for sure but what's with Symbian? They want so sell billions of it, so show them... Will at least the E7 device be presented?
I don't even dare to ask about Meego. Only tons of rumors, PR ******** and speculation. Later this year... Oh boy, Nokia, that's brilliant...

I like what I saw about the SE Xperia Play. It's no match for a Meego device but Sony Ericsson seem to have a good concept. Together with PlayStation Suite a hard competitor to Microsoft's Xbox Live I guess...

Last edited by sbock; 2011-02-13 at 19:20.

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
I wonder why can't Nokia just keep Symbian alive for low end and truly keep the Qt alive and kicking inside Nokia.
Because they are idiots.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Read this somewhere else:

Nokia and Microsoft will each contribute services and technology to one another and co-brand the collaborations. For example, Nokia will integrate with Bing and maybe call it “Nokia search, powered by Bing,” while Microsoft will integrate Nokia’s Maps services into its search engine and maybe call it “Bing Maps, powered by Nokia.” No definitive branding has been established yet.
Nokia just has to make sure that services are branded as nokia services on their own phones. They need the option to switch to another OS or service provider if the love ends.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Could this be the move to a more service based Nokia?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Wow, he's good.

He's radiating his own reality distortion field.
well, that's good for around 15% or so of a global market...

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
That's what Ovi was presented as a few years ago. Now it's being gutted instead of fixed. Incompatible with Microsoft's direction. But hey, there's always Xbox live...

Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
I don't know the details of the deal, so I won't rule that out.
But if Nokia provides key services to the wp7 ecosystem MS cannot easily get rid of them.

The problem is nobody knows nokia is behind those services, so they are not associated with the nokia brand.

Honestly I still think Symbian/Meego/Qt and OVI services would have been the better option, but I can at least see a logic behind the decision.
Wait, what? Yes, we do know the details. We know that it's a non-exclusive deal, read: the OEM WinPhone will ship without Nokia services. Meaning that Microsoft can choose to use another services provider (HTC, Samsung, Microsoft itself) whenever it chooses.

Meanwhile, Nokia has just scrapped its own OS's, meaning that they are now forced to use WinPhone no matter what.

People, wake up. This is a hostile takeover of Nokia by Microsoft, and none other. You'd have to be blind not to see it.

The Following User Says Thank You to tkatchev For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
No, it's a move to a Nokia that's just experienced a hostile takeover by Microsoft.

Come on, people, I feel dumb just discussing this.

Last edited by tkatchev; 2011-02-13 at 20:33.