Active Topics

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
hobby or multimedia/internet biased (khrm N) project?
Okey I say it in a different way :-) How many engineers do u think are internally working on Meego and how many is workong on S^3 as an example?

Without knowing I think there is plenty of more engineers working on S^3

Posts: 422 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Israel
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Without knowing I think there is plenty of more engineers working on S^3
Well you truly don't know then
Symbian is an OS currently used and developed only by Nokia.
MeeGo is an OS currently used and developed by Nokia, Intel, AMD, and numerous other companies which decided on taking part in the MeeGo venture.
Now which of the OSs do you think has more developers working on?

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by efekt View Post
Well you truly don't know then
Symbian is an OS currently used and developed only by Nokia.
MeeGo is an OS currently used and developed by Nokia, Intel, AMD, and numerous other companies which decided on taking part in the MeeGo venture.
Now which of the OSs do you think has more developers working on?
Dont forget that Symbian is open too but what I meant was enginners working on HW related stuff (drivers etc) that is closed "internal only".

Nokia cant just take the "open components" and make it work in Linux. Examples: modems, nfc, camera, gpsapp, phoneapi, powermanagment etc... thats not how it works.

We already knows that cause of the lack of full modemstack in Maemo as an example. They need internal payed engineers and to me it seems they still focvus on Symbian and is lack engineers woking on Meego and hopers that thirdparty "just doit".

I may be wrong but.. By this I dont say the engineers is doing a bad work but we already knows that it has taken more time than it should. The plan last year was to release atleast one Maemo based product this year but now we now the plans has changed ALOT...

We dont even know if the Meego based phone will be RPM or DPKG(=Harmattan) based...

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2010-12-04 at 00:24.

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Shanghai, China
We dont even know if the Meego based phone will be RPM or DPKG(=Harmattan) based...
2 branches, chaos... chaos...

Hope some body can provide more info...

And in that in mine can we be sure Meego will suppoprt good calendars/email functionality and so on? "geek doesnt care about that"
Ah, but geeks do care about that. The target audience isn't geeks (or businessmen) though. I don't remember the exact wording but there was a Nokia slide in the Barcelona weekend that defined it as single 20-something male "digital natives" with lots of disposable income, ie the twitter/facebook/google crowd. They don't care about a working email and calendar, sure.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lma View Post
They don't care about a working email and calendar, sure.
Indeed but that's not MeeGo's responsibility to supply but Nokia's or whoever makes a device-targeted branch out of the MeeGo base. I keep seeing in various places a consistent failure to grasp what MeeGo is (as if it's supposed to be Android, only native.)

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Indeed but that's not MeeGo's responsibility to supply but Nokia's or whoever makes a device-targeted branch out of the MeeGo base.
Is it? The lines are a bit blurry, for example the netbook meego.com flavour does provide these.

I actually am of the view that MeeGo is suited for the flashy customer and Symbian more for the Business.

Symbian is designed for a broader base of ARM chips and different spec levels. The OS is more reliable as a phone, higher uptimes, better MfE integration, and MeeGo like the other pseudo smartphone OS's are better at user engagement through 3rd party Apps. You can see the difference between a business OS an a consumer OS. BB's are business, Winmo upto 6.5 is business ... and the recurring theme is that they all in a way don't have intense UI's that take up GPU/ CPU and battery resources ... entirely different user modalities. Business phones have focused functions, aimed at reliability and security. Symbian is of that design concept and is best suited for Business. Now this doesn't mean MeeGo or iOS or Android couldn't do this ... just not the design focus of the Phone. I believe my old e61i had the best emailing experience compared to even the N900 ... things just worked like clockwork. Although I have found the calendar on Symbian e-series phones as always lacking.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
What nokia means with Bussiness is E-Series I guess... And that means good calendar/email clients and soo on.
Except that none of the E-series actually come with a good calendar/email clients. In fact they are practically the same as their N-series counterparts. The calendar is inferior to the one on my Psion Series 5 in terms of functionality and useability - eg why is there no date selector when I am making an entry? The email client is crippled by arbitary limitations (eg you can only configure 3 email accounts and no more, if you want to set a custom port for your smtp/pop3/imap server it is limited to 3 digits - don't nokia engineers know that there are over 65 thousand ports and hence needs 5 digits? etc).

The Following User Says Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MoJo View Post
I actually am of the view that MeeGo is suited for the flashy customer and Symbian more for the Business.
Arbitrary distinctions between OSes is kinda moot, since there's no real reason MeeGo couldn't be used for business. It's all about the environment.

Symbian is designed for a broader base of ARM chips and different spec levels. The OS is more reliable as a phone, higher uptimes, better MfE integration, and MeeGo like the other pseudo smartphone OS's are better at user engagement through 3rd party Apps. You can see the difference between a business OS an a consumer OS. BB's are business, Winmo upto 6.5 is business ... and the recurring theme is that they all in a way don't have intense UI's that take up GPU/ CPU and battery resources ... entirely different user modalities.
None of which has any bearing on something being for business, seeing as how the iPhone has been making killer inroads in business.The only reason I can't use my N900 for work is that it won't commit suicide when corporate IT decides to flip that switch.