Active Topics

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ South-Africa
Ok i have been trying to install PR 1.3 for the last 5 hours and with no success! I am trying through OVI Suite and it is giving me trouble!

I got the latest OVI suite installed and followed all instructions!

It picks up that there is an update for my phone and it is PR 1.3

It backed up my phone and downloaded the firmware and now it needs to install it! and thats where it gets stuck!

This is the installing part and I got up to here:
Name:  Update.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  42.8 KB

Then this notification pops up from OVI
Name:  Disconnect.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  5.0 KB
This is fine because the installer said this would happen!

BUT then OVI suite says that i need to connect my phone:
Name:  No USB.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  30.3 KB

But without doing anything and just waiting then this notification pops up:
Name:  Connected.jpg
Views: 750
Size:  6.9 KB

So now it is connected again and then OVI suite displays this:
Name:  Active.jpg
Views: 750
Size:  26.3 KB

So i click on next and then it goes to the installer again and installs the firmware but then it disconnects again and does all the steps over and over and over again!!

PLZ HELP MEEEE???

Posts: 353 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ India
Update sux.. already wish i had not updated.. my phone feels more sluggish now..and i did a complete reflash.. :[ I . IZ . OWN3D

Posts: 586 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Hi

I know what happen! Bootloop! Do not update if you use the powerkernel!

First you must deinstall power-kernel. When you got original kernel.. Then you can update... How i know... because i have the pr1.3 about a month now and i do that first time...

If you have downloaded some games or others in the ovi-store don't flash. You do not have more than 5x to download your app.. and all ovi-store app will be gone if you flash your phone. Maybe i was too slow to tell this but i try...

It never backed any of my apps up :-( its gonna take ages to put all them back on

Posts: 586 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
FIRST! Do backup! With that n900 own application.

connect your phone to the internet and update with application manager.. easy and safe

Last edited by Makeclick; 2010-10-25 at 18:20.

Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
Just follow the updating wiki, take a backup, reflash firmware, restore from backup.

I just did it and in all it took less than 25 mins

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
Originally Posted by extendedping View Post
thanks for the response, am I doing something wrong then? the update tells me I need pc suite, is this a regional thing meaning here in the usa I might not be able to do over the air? I sure would like to just do it that way if possible...
OTA works in USA, I just did it.

If it tells you that you need to use PC Suite (translation: flasher) what it really means is either

A) You do not have enough free space in your rootfs (needs about 35M or more free). For example, if you use power-kernel it has about 7M of modules which take up space in the rootfs.

B) You have some conflicting packages installed. In app manager, if you choose the Maemo update and then click "Details" instead of "Install", it will have a "Problems" tab that tells you about any conflicts. Deal with the conflicts (in my case I had to remove healthcheck, brainparty, gltron and cloudgps). Then try it again.

Good luck

The Following User Says Thank You to stlpaul For This Useful Post:
Posts: 179 | Thanked: 86 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Barcelona
Try pluging in the device pressiung the "u" keys and see if that helps...

Regards

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Guildford, UK
This seems like a relevant place to ask...

I've installed PR1.3 Global OTA through App Manager (on my Vodafone UK N900). This has installed fine. But before doing so, I didn't uninstall the Power Kernel, which I was using to overclock (nicely stable at 900MHz, very pleased!).

Of course installing PR1.3 has removed the power kernel, and of course the OC. Which is fine, but I'm stuck with the Power Kernel uninstallation icon in the menu. When I try to uninstall it can't, complaining that it can't restore to the Nokia Kernel, and I can't uninstall it through the Application Manager either, as it complains that I should do it through the app menu.

So what am I supposed to do when the next revision of the Power Kernel comes out and I want to install it so I can have some OC goodness? Am I going to have to reflash or restore to factory defaults from the Settings menu? or does anyone have any bright ideas?

I'm not adverse to getting down and dirty in xterm if thats what it resorts to, provided someone has some decent instructions (long time Windows-fiddler and PC overclocker, relative newbie at Linux, having only installed Ubuntu when I got my N900 so I could flash easily and safely).

Thank you very much in advance for any help given

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by sak500 View Post
...dual booting to android and power kernal settings...
After flash, multiboot and power kernal are gone. So does all your nitdroid apps, need to backup both nitdroid apps and desktop setting to avoid works. Otherwise, everything is fine.

bun