Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by jflatt View Post
Ah yes, that pesky issue of owning the market with symbian phones.
Are you suggesting that Meego is going to "own the market"? What are its killer features going to be to take market share away from iOS and Android?

Who is looking forward to its release apart from a very hardcore minority of geeks? What companies have signed up support for Meego?

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Err.. didn't they buy Android (or what would become Android)? It's only after alot of polishing and development did it become what it is today.
Yes, that's right. They bought a small company called Android.

Originally Posted by imperiallight View Post
Are you suggesting that Meego is going to "own the market"? What are its killer features going to be to take market share away from iOS and Android?

Who is looking forward to its release apart from a very hardcore minority of geeks? What companies have signed up support for Meego?
I don't think Meego has been doing very well on the smartphone side. Though the car side (European car companies) and tablet side (Intel) seem to be where companies are interested in Meego. Though Meego won't be a success unless QT compatibility is leverged correctly (since Meego on any one of those areas won't have the marketshare for the commercial developers).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:

No, it was a reference to the article which implies symbian is the contributing factor to Nokia's recent decline, while symbian continues to be their bread and butter.

As for MeeGo, it is also emerging into Connected TV, Media Phone and IVI, where it can hold market majority. Companies supporting MeeGo include Acer, Amino, Asianux, Asus, BMW Group, Cisco, Collabora, CS2C, Cyberlink, DeviceVM, EA Mobile, fring, Gameloft, Hancom, Intel, Linpus, Maemo Community Council, Mandriva, Metasys, Miracle, MontaVista Software, Movial, Novell, PixArt, Red Flag, ST-Ericsson, Teleca, Telefonica, Tencent, TurboLinux, VietSoftware, Wind River, WTEC, and Xandros. Whether or not they are very hardcore geeks remains to be seen.

The Following User Says Thank You to jflatt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jflatt View Post
No, it was a reference to the article which implies symbian is the contributing factor to Nokia's recent decline, while symbian continues to be their bread and butter.

As for MeeGo, it is also emerging into Connected TV, Media Phone and IVI, where it can hold market majority. Companies supporting MeeGo include Acer, Amino, Asianux, Asus, BMW Group, Cisco, Collabora, CS2C, Cyberlink, DeviceVM, EA Mobile, fring, Gameloft, Hancom, Intel, Linpus, Maemo Community Council, Mandriva, Metasys, Miracle, MontaVista Software, Movial, Novell, PixArt, Red Flag, ST-Ericsson, Teleca, Telefonica, Tencent, TurboLinux, VietSoftware, Wind River, WTEC, and Xandros. Whether or not they are very hardcore geeks remains to be seen.
I'd point out though that Android is entering some of those markets. As I said before, it's Android that Meego has to take on. If they let Android get established then Meego is going have a very tough road if any at all since Android almost carries all of Meego's strengths with Google support.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
I agree that they had ages to develop Symbian but now they should let it die gracefully.
What is it you have against Symbian?? It was a wonderful OS to use with the N95 8GB.

It has a fairly good browser. The browser supports Silverlight, Flash, CSS, HTML5, PHP and many other technologies well. You'd have a hard time finding a website that wasn't rendered well. And this is from a 3 year old phone. On the N86 8MP it beat the iPhone at several browser speed tests. So speed could be good.

It could work well on low end phones and can handle high end hardware too. It is better suited for Nokia because it can be available on low end phones so it would suit the market with different phones and different pricing.

It has low power consumption which makes good battery life. It was very good at multitasking and sound didn't stutter at all (sadly pulseaudio is...pathetic). It was a very powerful OS and a pleasure to use.

Symbian got a bad name because of the 'tech' sites always bashing it. UI was great. You could have a folder and sub folder structure which is less confusing than a 200 icons all in one place. You could organise games for themselves, internet related apps for themselves etc..(ApMeFo finally brought this to Maemo). Symbian also had wonderful hacks and could be modified a lot too. I spent 3 weeks with an iPhone 3GS before missing my N95.. (1 actually..I tried sticking the other 2). I had traded phones with a friend for fun.

Symbian began losing it's touch because of Nokia and touch UI. The touch UI could be much better and Nokia kept throwing devices with a sh**ty CPU and RAM...but hopefully Symbian^3 fixes it with better hardware and UI. Hopefully Symbian will be able to support higher resolutions than it currently does.

But that's not the point. Maemo is awesome. The way it supports so many video and audio formats, the similarity with a desktop OS, the fantastic UI (lacking portrait though ), the awesome browser, the hackability, terminal fun, wonderful community, multitasking and much more...it is very fun to use this OS. Hopefully Meego will keep these features. I don't think I will go to Symbian after using Maemo, but saying Symbian sucks is so wrong..so very wrong!

Last edited by pantera1989; 2010-09-16 at 19:58.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pantera1989 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by pantera1989 View Post
saying Symbian sucks is so wrong..so very wrong!
That's just the very thing about the article--whether you agree or not, the main point is still that Nokia has a perception problem. I've never used Symbian, myself, but the impression I get from various exposure to people who have is a generally negative one that makes it sound/feel retro and outdated. I can't say that I think that--it's just the impression I'm getting from the general consensus, right or wrong. Nokia would do well to fix that perception.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
I would reiterate what you said Pantera, it was cutting edge for it's time three to four years ago and now it needs to die gracefully. It is too divorced from the leading pack.

Last edited by imperiallight; 2010-09-16 at 20:07.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imperiallight For This Useful Post:
Thank you pantera! I also dont see symbian as a dead OS, it annoys me when people say that. My 5800 with latest firmware is lightning fast! I dont think there was anything I couldnt do with my 5800 (or even n95). Caant wait to see what symbian^3 is like.

Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
I would reiterate what you said Pantera, it was cutting edge for it's time three to four years ago and now it needs to die gracefully.
Oh I'm sorry. I didn't realise you already owned an N8 (Symbian^3) and a future Symbian^4 device and verified that Symbian is still outdated.

P.S. If you want my opinion Symbian was never outdated. Bad choice in hardware and bad touch UI (which was improved greatly with updates) made people think it's outdated. The core was always being improved.

Last edited by pantera1989; 2010-09-16 at 20:11.

The Following User Says Thank You to pantera1989 For This Useful Post: