Active Topics

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
thanks iball for testing. ... bah 24bg.mp3 is way too distorted ... redoing that one

OK got mp3s playing back in exult! It's pretty ugly!

(edit 1:00 AM) that's an understatement... the game calls play_music() every few hundred milliseconds. If it's currently playing then return... testing an external process every 0.5 seconds is bad just baad. Got to change that behavior.

(edit 3:54 AM) Ok i have to change how the game tests for currently-playing music/background sounds. I think i can do it with SIGCHLD but don't know how - possiblty waitpid() if the thing insists on polling.

(edit 6:38 AM) Testing Version Ready for download. http://pupnik.de/exult770.html

Grab the tarball and unpack it to /home/user. Check out the readme and set up the directories so exult can find everything. Music requires gstreamer-tools.

Some gameplay tips.
- Walking is via dpad.
- Dpad-select selects menu items and goes through dialog.
- To converse with characters double-tap them. Your double taps need to be accurate - if the position changes it doesn't count as a double tap.
- To pick up objects, tap precisely (a fine stylus helps) and drag to one of your characters.
- Activate objects with double tap.
- Bring up game options menu with circular arrow
- Currently intro movies are disabled. If you want to see them go into game setup from the introductory window and turn them on.
- Tap on character portraits at bottom-left to bring up a display of your character. Here you can access commands like 'combat mode', character inventory, stats, world map, abacus etc. Eventually we'll get quick shortcuts for the important ones.

Last edited by ArnimS; 2007-04-26 at 05:14.

hi,
i got
./exult
./exult: relocation error: ./exult: symbol powf, version GLIBCXX_3.4 not defined in file libstdc++.so.6 with link time reference
I am using OS2007hackedEdition on my Nokia 770

the music sounds good to me

Originally Posted by rachid View Post
hi,
i got

I am using OS2007hackedEdition on my Nokia 770
Thanks rachid. I'd hoped that error was local to my nokia. I had fixed it by copying over the unstripped libstdc++ from scratchbox, which doesn't give the error.

Ok i'll try to find where that powf function gets referenced.
Ooh there, in the fm synth emu...

(edit) ok, fixed! i pulled the mt32synth code out and recompiled with some new compile-time flags - game looks to be faster now!

P.s. if you want to see how crappy it looks on a gp2x / zaurus, go into 320x240 mode an select 'point doubling'

Last edited by ArnimS; 2007-04-27 at 20:12.

thank you for the new version
But i still got the same error. What should i do?

thank you for the new version
But i still got the same error. What should i do?
Thanks for testing rachid. The build system of exult appears to not allow for cleanly disabling the features requiring that power function. New version coming soon

(edit:10:30) Pulling out code that calls the powf doesn't help, it's still linked-in to exult, meaning that error will continue to haunt.

(edit 13:45) used apt-get --reinstall install libstdc++6 to recover the old libs, copied the libstdc++ over to scratchbox and rebuilt. .. testing.. OK Fixed. Now. Really. I hope.

(edit 15:23) Added auto-savename-generation for users without keyboards

(edit 16:26) Moved all data from root filesystem and edited config files. No more data in ~/.exult or /usr/local/share. Changed sound fx to high quality. Added default keybindings. They currently are:
  • Fullscreen Button: Toggle Combat
  • Zoom Minus: Eat Food
  • Zoom Plus: Use World Map (circle-arrow to exit)
  • Dpad-Select: Enter key for menus
  • Circle-Arrow: Esc / Hide Menu / Toggle Game Settings
  • Menu-Button: Show maemo menu / toggle fullscreen

Exult for it2006 (and 2007?) 0.03 testing downloads:

exult Ultima 7 for Nokia page
Installation, Usage and Development Notes

Check the readme for usage. Post results here

(Edit: Starting a new game currently requires* a BT keyboard, synergy or vnc to input the player name. An alternate input method is coming real soon now.)
(Edit: First report from an N800 user {thanks Sulis!} that this build works on Bora / 800 as well. Frame rates claimed to be 50% faster in unscaled mode)

Last edited by ArnimS; 2007-04-28 at 06:48.

hi,
it is working
But it is quite unstable.
"Serpent Isle" hangs often in the intro (blue white dots).
"The Black Gate" crashes irregular with an "SDL parachute" error

hi,
it is working
But it is quite unstable.
"Serpent Isle" hangs often in the intro (blue white dots).
"The Black Gate" crashes irregular with an "SDL parachute" error
OK, please test without mp3 music (turn off music in .exult.cfg or disable digital music in the in-game settings menu, accessed via circle-arrow).

(edit) Latest speed seems to be not-so-good, running on it2007. Here is a video of how fast exult can be on the 770 (full 800x480 resolution with scale2x! on it2006)

(edit) Video removed - solly.

Note also how nice it is to move with stylus.

(edit) Oh and another thing - if you activate the 'paper doll' option, your character-view will reflect your equipped weapons and armor. The backpack is hard to see - it is barely visible to the upper-right of your character - double-tap it to open the pack.

Last edited by ArnimS; 2008-03-14 at 08:18.

Posts: 564 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fayetteville, GA
Very nice work ArnimS! Glad to see it working quite well on the 770 too.
3pm - So good, it's illegal

Hi,

I managed to install the game and trying out Black Gate for the moment. It loads and I just tried moving around a bit. I've not played this version of Ultima before...I last played the REALLY old version...2D one. Anyway, looks nice, but I'm not sure how you move with the stylus as per your video. I had to move using the dpad. Also, items look really tiny on the n800...i'm not even sure some of the things I'm picking up.

Will let you know how things go..

Edit: I've played a bit more. I realise that some text appears off the screen at the bottom. Also, I hope the framerates can be improved. I was slightly irritated by the jerkiness. Not your fault...just that maybe I'm getting old...anything too jerky gives me a headache.

Luke

Last edited by luketoh; 2007-05-01 at 10:34.