Active Topics

Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
i happen to like the idea of a mini-usb-to-*POTS/PBX/ETHERNET* dongle. pin out tests (with a matching end), line break checking, and line chasing (with matching "AA" battery powered wand).
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

Posts: 414 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Silicon Valley
Originally Posted by phi View Post
you could just buy a personal wifi access point
Thanks, phi.

This is the same as the wifi to ethernet bridge that other posters referred to, right??

Nokia N900
Previous: Nokia N810 & N800

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I could have sworn I saw someone write of accomplishing this in another thread here...
Will see if I can find it, Texrat....

Thanks!

Nokia N900

Originally Posted by brendan View Post
i happen to like the idea of a mini-usb-to-*POTS/PBX/ETHERNET* dongle. pin out tests (with a matching end), line break checking, and line chasing (with matching "AA" battery powered wand).
Sounds like a plan, brendan....

Thanks!

Nokia N900

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Ottawa, Canada
Originally Posted by ArchiMark View Post
Greetings,

I know that the great thing about N800's is WiFi but at work, I can't use WiFi, just ethernet connection...so that's really important to me to have that option if I want....

Mark
How about using a Bluetooth access point? Maybe this isn't covered by your work's network policy..... ;-)

Originally Posted by BobF4321 View Post
How about using a Bluetooth access point? Maybe this isn't covered by your work's network policy..... ;-)
Another creative idea, Bob!

This is quite a group!

Just to be clear about what I meant about my work situation....

I have internet access at work via ethernet connection. We do not have a wifi network in my office. Hence my question regarding ethernet connections...

However, I didn't think of using either a USB to Ethernet adaptor or a WiFi to Ethernet device....seems like either one could work....hopefully....

Nokia N900

Mark,

Out of curiosity, how does the N800 compare to the Zaurus 3200? There is not too many people that have experience with both. I was thinking of getting a 3200 when I go to Japan next month.

Originally Posted by troubleshootr View Post
Mark,

Out of curiosity, how does the N800 compare to the Zaurus 3200? There is not too many people that have experience with both. I was thinking of getting a 3200 when I go to Japan next month.
I dunno, troubleshootr, I've never seen nor used a N800....

As noted in my original post, I'm just contemplating one as an idea at this point...and realized that I needed to know if I'd be able to connect to internet at work if I want as this would help determine whether I'd look into a N800 further....

As for 3200, I think they're great lil' units...beautiful crisp, clear display and keyboard is much better than you'd would guess it would be...if they had built-in wifi and ethernet port they'd be perfect....but it's OK using my CF wifi and ethernet cards...

FWIW, I've reflashed my ROM with various distros available. Currently, quite happy with a pdaXrom variant called pdaXii13.....very good user community over at OESF.org/forums....they even have a small Nokia section there too...
But not as large or active as this one...mainly focused on Zaurii....

HTH,

Mark

Nokia N900

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Aloha, OR
Originally Posted by ArchiMark View Post
I think I get what you're saying, Richard....

use a USB LAN adapter????

No.In essence the n800 becomes the USB lan adapter. USB has basically two flavors (ignoring OTG) host or gadget. Host is how a desktop machine normally behaves -- you plug USB gadgets into a host. By default the N800 presents itself as a USB storage device. There are several common gadget drivers, file backed storage, ethernet, serial. The N800 can be any gadget as long as there is a working driver. Messing with gadgets does require root permission.
Note that a device can only be one type of device at a time; hence the rmmod f g_file_storage before insmoding g_ether.

Originally Posted by richardg1952 View Post
No.In essence the n800 becomes the USB lan adapter. USB has basically two flavors (ignoring OTG) host or gadget. Host is how a desktop machine normally behaves -- you plug USB gadgets into a host. By default the N800 presents itself as a USB storage device. There are several common gadget drivers, file backed storage, ethernet, serial. The N800 can be any gadget as long as there is a working driver. Messing with gadgets does require root permission.
Note that a device can only be one type of device at a time; hence the rmmod f g_file_storage before insmoding g_ether.
Thanks for clarifying, Richard!

Nokia N900