Active Topics

Posts: 249 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ International
@aspidites

This type of program/app is going to be pretty much 'click' intensive. There is a lot of data to be entered and options to be accessed. I would suggest functionality before 'prettiness' and then once the product is completed it can be made all shiny

I have tried to include an attachment to this post for you to look at for some examples.
Attached Images

My Favourite posts!
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=539
http://forums.precentral.net/2674180-post149.html
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=500
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=63720

Last edited by gryedouge; 2010-05-09 at 01:38.

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
What language are you writing it in and are you going to use sqlite?

Posts: 402 | Thanked: 229 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Missouri, USA
@johnel: python + pyqt, and yes I will be usign sqlite; specifically the sqlite3 module. Thanks for the schema. Not going to use it exactly, but definately useful info (especially the measurements table)

@cryox92: Nutrition is on the todo list, but is low priority for now.

@comments about look: Yeah, but it would be nice if I could have the default look behaving correctly, lol.

@drug: there will be goals, but it won't be the main focus. I decided that some people don't really know what they want until after they have started to see some results. I'll probably think more about goals about the same time I incorporate nutrition.

Actually, I figured out how I want the interface -- Kind of just "clicked" (no pun intended). I'm going to take a break from coding for about an hour or so (I've been working on aptly, ultimate-smash-friends, maegym, and vertsms off and on all day).

The Following User Says Thank You to aspidites For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
I'm really excited about this app.

Keep everyone here updated aspidites.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
[status update]
  • Config File: maegym now recongizes both system wide configuration as well as user configuration. For now the config must be edited by hand, but by the time I implement something worth configuring, I'm sure a dialog that writes to the config file will be implemented.
  • Database: maegym now has a database. Currently there is only one table - workouts, which can not be modified through the program. It's there mostly as a stub.
  • GUI: I've finally figured out how I want to implement the GUI. I essentially mimicked the default media player. For "Fitness", there are workouts, exercises, and target areas. By default, clicking on Fitness takes you to exercises. From there, you can either click back to go back to the welcome window or click on the menu and navigate to either workouts or target areas.

Extending the media player analogy further, exercises are songs, target areas (triceps, heart rate, etc) are genres, and workouts are playlists. Hope that makes sense.

As for what they actually look at, I took a page from the contacts page, with one exception: the add button is static. (I always hated that I had to scroll all the way to the top just to create a new SMS)
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to aspidites For This Useful Post:
Fun to see another doing a gym program! I am also working on a program

this is going to be a great and very helpful application . .
thanks

great start. i was waiting for this app.

i would like to see calendar view showing workout days. clicking on particular day should show details of workout like duration, excerices done, rep etc.

thanx

Originally Posted by jitusj View Post
great start. i was waiting for this app.

i would like to see calendar view showing workout days. clicking on particular day should show details of workout like duration, excerices done, rep etc.

thanx
Planned but low priority. Actually I was thinking of having a widget above the buttons on the welcome screen that; on a series of taps would cycle between todays activity, progress towad goals, and tip of the day. None of this can be done before I finish the database though

Posts: 311 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
Awesome Idea!

Possible menu Structure:

1. Fitness
+ WORKOUTS
* Create Workout (possibility to have a list of exercises and add them to a workout you can then name, eg "Workout1", "Abs1", etc. Also, here you can say how many reps/sets/weight you are wanting to do. NOT IN EXERCISE BELOW, because these 3 values will always differ)
* Load Workout (One big list to load pre-saved workouts)
* Edit Workout (Edit pre-saved workouts)
[EDIT: Load+Edit can be merged into "VIEW WORKOUT, then you long click on them to > Load OR Edit OR view]

+ EXERCISE
* New Exercises (Create new Exercises [takes name, muscle target area, type (cardio, weight lifting), what tools needed, pictures, descriptive text, tips&tricks])
* Edit Exercises (Edit pre-saved Exercises)
* import Exercises (not sure what format to take, .html, .xml ?)
* View all (Could be merged with 'Edit Exercises', just on big list?

+ TARGET AREAS
* New Target Area
* Edit Target Areas
* View all Target areas (With the possibility to open a sub-category and view all exercises within that target area) (Can be merged with "View all Exercises, see above ?)

2. Nutrition
+ ?
+ ?

3. Progress
+ View Progress
* Weights (What you can and did lift)
* Cardio
* Nutrition (Calories consumed, Calories allowed, etc)
* Bodyweight (kgs, etc)

+ ?

What do you guys reckon? I think we should start a proper flow-chart before diving into anything?

---------------------------------------
EDIT: A widget to show todays activities would be awesome. But, for the moment we should focus on getting the app to a decent level first! We can make use of the calendar to save some time, it would be enough if the app communicates with the calendar so it inserts named workouts and shows them on the widget. (Eg June, 25th 2010, Workout "ABS 1")

Last edited by Haus3r; 2010-05-09 at 16:24.

The Following User Says Thank You to Haus3r For This Useful Post: