Active Topics

I am having the same problems with an episode of Friends that I converted using DVD Catalyst (in the Nokia 770 option, 320x200 or whatever it is, as well as a higher 480x320 resolution I tried). It freezes after only 5-6 seconds!!! Any progress on this bug? A bit disappointing if I can't convert DVDs for viewing on the n800!

Just thought I'd add that the files all play when streamed onto the n800 via orb... is that strange... I don't know much about all this!

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Somehow a former co-worker of mine manages to watch entire movies on his N800 with Media Player, no problem. I wish I had his contact info to find out what he's doing...

Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
Bug is still not assigned. Don't forget to vote it up!

Originally Posted by Saccente View Post
I am having the same problems with an episode of Friends that I converted using DVD Catalyst (in the Nokia 770 option, 320x200 or whatever it is, as well as a higher 480x320 resolution I tried). It freezes after only 5-6 seconds!!! Any progress on this bug? A bit disappointing if I can't convert DVDs for viewing on the n800!
I had the same problem with DVD Catalyst & the N800 so I emailed tech support, but they were not able to fix the problem. For now, I use DVD Catalyst on DVDs to create an intermediate file on my PC, and then run media converter (from the mameo garage) to get files for the N800. Sometimes they play OK, and sometimes they don't. I usually break the movies into chapters, so each file is short.

Howard

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by thoughtfix View Post
Bug is still not assigned. Don't forget to vote it up!
Unfortunately we are all limited to one vote only for N800 specific bugs!

See bug #944.

Edit: Ferenc just upped the N800 vote limit to 1000 (same as 770). Thanks Ferenc!

Last edited by Milhouse; 2007-02-06 at 22:39.

I have the same issue also. I just download the Media Converter couple days ago. The conversion went flowlessly, but not the play back from the N800. A few things I should mention here. I encoded using the second best option, w/ 2 passes. And it play smoothly. I ssh into the unit, and run top while playing it. It appear w/ that setting, the system only use about 50-60% CPU at fullscreen. as I guessed, the CPU isn't the problem here. Also I notice that, playing video FS can make problem worse as it freeze more often. BTW, most of my converted video are music video. Mostly are under 10minutes anyway, but yeah it still freeze.

Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
I tried Media Converter 1.3 last night and am still getting some freezing... and it does recover eventually but not well.

I don't believe how BAD the video aspect of the n800 is. I LOVE the n800 - don't be mistaken. However, I think you need to make some sort of offering to the gods and spin around twice if you want to be able to actually view video on this thing.

Can someone - who claims to be watching movies (videos) on the N800 please describe in detail what format, codec, resolution, bitrate, etc. should be used to get it to work. Also if the tools used in the process can be identified, this may enable fools like myself who have wasted hours to see no more then 8 seconds of video - actually watch video on the coolest new tool.

Thanks

I have used the following players also have frozen when playing video:

Nokia's media player: (Hangs on playback)
__ The video from all the following sources hangs on play-back:
__ Video transcribed with Media Converter PPC.
__ Video transcribed from DVD via HandBrake to the following specs:

(Resolution 400x240 at a video bitrate of about 600Kbps at same as source fps with MP3 audio at 48000Hz sampling frequency, 128K bit rate, in stereo)

The Mplayer media player (Hangs on playback)
(as an aside, this player plays the same videos I play on my 770, no transcribing needed)

The Canola media player(Hangs on playback)

I can't imagine at what level this problem originates, also the Nokia supplied video does not seem to hang. I may transcode it to see if it breaks after it has been processed.