Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Well, Qtirreco works for me quite nicely.

Originally Posted by twaelti View Post
try my shutter widget and observe the ir port through a digicam
Sorry, but could you tell me what that widget does?
If I clicked on it, it told "IR command sent", but I cound't figure out what it is good for.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
To test infrared, just simply use your other camera phone or Camera. Just aim the camera at the infrared port when sending infrared signal. On the camera screen you'll see a flashing light.

Posts: 458 | Thanked: 274 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Finland
My infrared port doesn't send any singnal (I tested it with a camera).

Mine was working just fine for a few days n then just stopped for no reason? Sounds like a few ppl have had the same problem. I came accross a discussion on how to check in x terminal if everythings where it should be but i'm a bit of a newb n can't figure it out. Heres what i found...

First thing to check is if lirc is running by typing ps in terminal.

Then check the file under /opt/qtirreco/Remotes/<remotename.conf> whats the device in line:

command: <device> <command>

Then check if that device actually is the same under /opt/qtirreco/Devices/<device>. There check the line after begin remote.

name <device>

Then under /etc/lircd.conf you should have proper device path included.

If those devices in lines match and lirc runs the IR signal should be sent. Some codes doesn't work but still the signal is emitted.#

When i type ps i cant find anything to do with lirc so i'm stuck???

same problem no lirc i'm stuck to someone please help, ir not workin irreco not working

Originally Posted by Dactar View Post
I had to reboot for adding the widget to the desktop, but it works !!!

So, my IR port works and I know that the problem is in irreco / QTirreco...

Thanks
i've the same problem, i've reflash the device 5 time to search to solve it but irreco and qt irreco didn't work with the n900 ir port... anyone have a idea or a solution? with the widget i'm sure that the ir port isn't broken, than why i can use my device to switch tv channel in the eletronic mall, or turn off the tv of the pub when there are the match?

Please help, no signal from IR port here.

guys any luck?
Is it too difficult for the gurus out there to give a solution to us noobs?
App used to work for me too, then suddenly stopped.
tried all the solutions mentioned but no luck...

If you want to make sure the hardware is good, transmit a signal with any IR software and look at the N900's infrared port through any other camera (the lower the quality the better). You should be able to see the infrared light.

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 226 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ CZ & US ex-(UK/France/Switzerland/Canada)
This topic seams to be dead, but maybe there are still some people with this kind of problem. I'm a new with N900 (waiting for N9 seems like waiting for Godot) and I also had similar problems with LIRC and Irreco/QTIrreco.

What I tried at the very beginning was restart the lirc deamon and during that I realized, that some device definition files (in my case for Sony RM-SR8) are reported by lirc as to be incorrect (don't ask me why it had worked before). If you don't need them, the solution is easy -- just remove them from /etc/lircd.conf. if you need them, you either have to fix the errors, or, like in my case when I need to use just few buttons, one can try to comment the other buttons and hope, that you don't need the bad ones :-).

PS: I also realized, that Irreco v0.8.11 contains a bug causing that after each its start it appends to /etc/lircd.conf include clauses for all its devices. So I can imagine that after one month of using, the file has enormous size, but it's full of duplicit lines. I did a silly and dirty hack that I removed write access for other users than root to this file, but then of course one has to manage the content of this file manually. This could be done in many ways, one of them is:

Code:
chmod 664 /etc/lircd.conf
PPS: you have to be root for all of these, of course ;-).

The Following User Says Thank You to Wolda For This Useful Post: