Active Topics

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Considering it's just modifying that 1 file is all it's needed, I would guess a decent developer can easily create a small app for managing the Menus... I'm no developer unfortunately.. =(

Originally Posted by Matan View Post
You can add folders an rearrange the icons application launcher by editing the file /etc/xdg/menus/hildon.menu. The <Filename>'s in the Include section set the icons to display, so you can rearrange them or remove the ones you don't want. Adding more Menu sections will add folders (the one there represents the More..). Replace the OnlyUnallocated/ and All/ with a list of Filenames for the apps you want in the folder (see the files in /usr/share/applications/hildon).
I don't seem to be able to rearrange the items in the main menu using /etc/xdg/menus/hildon.menu. I can hide them but when I change their order and it's reinitializing the menu app it puts them back to their default position. Any ideas?

another problem i ran into is, i replaced the ovi store with pidgin messenger but it is on the "more" position now so i accidently open pidgin all the time there has to be another file which conatins the order

Some .desktop and .directory files in /usr/share/applications/hildon have a X-Osso-User-Position which does have some affect on the order, but indeed, there seem to be some arbitrary restrictions on the order. It seems to be: Original icons, then folders and then new icons. This is defined in the program itself. I will release a binary of hildon-desktop without this arbitrary order, if people are interested.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
very interested

See instructions here for replacing hildon-desktop:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=38314

(no need for following the dbus-scripts instructions, if you are not intereseted in keyboard operation).

The order in hildon.menu is still ignored. The way to set the order is to add a X-Osso-User-Position= line in .desktop and .directory files. Smaller numbers appear first.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Every time I create a new <menu> entry, it shows up as "More...".
Is there a way to change the "More" folder icon to my own title?
(Such as Games, Stuff, Apps etc)

The Following User Says Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
In every menu section there is a line <Name>. Make sure it is different for each menu section. There is also a line <Directory>. Change the name. The original is applications.directory. In a menu I created I changed to my.directory (for example). Then I copied the file /usr/share/applications/hildon/applications.directory to the file /usr/share/applications/hildon/my.directory. Then in this text file I changed the fields Name= and Icon=.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 270 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Serbia, Belgrade
Matan, can you report a bug, please?
I don't have my phone yet, so all you said i can only imagine right now.
That kind of a feature shouldn't be in a separate app, it should be implemented in the OS.
Thank you.

I don't think it's a bug - If you want a GUI, use iPhone. This is Linux.