Active Topics

Originally Posted by andrewfblack View Post
i have this problem if you get it just go to settings > connections and add a new connection it will search for wifi connections and allow you to connect that way
Thanks for this trick!
It shouldn't pick up those hotspots have WPS in the first place though!

Posts: 62 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Missouri, USA
I am also unable to connect to unprotected public wifi.
I define the access points in Settings->Internet Connections but then when I try to connect I get the following message:

"Network connection error. try again? Yes/No" and I have to exit because trying again doesn't solve it.

I can connect to my own protected wifi without a problem.

@DojwqlO: Are you sure that you're really connecting to public wi-fi? There are many non-encrypted networks out there that aren't public, they often have MAC-filtering and other stuff. That'll give you the network connection error. Try connecting to something you know for certain is real public free wi-fi, e.g. a pub or something where they announce public free wi-fi.

Originally Posted by depu View Post
Bug Id 5786 is looking for more information about WPS setup which causes this issue.
Can you please share any details which you have for it?

I have had this happen.

Newer routers - I have the Belkin N1 Vision - support a guest access and one button "pairing" for WiFi protected setup. Push button security is an option on these routers and it uses WiFi protected Setup (WPS) so that you have to push a WPS button on your device, or enter a PIN generated by the router.

It's allmost like the wifi settings on the N900 are too smart and look for the highest security protocol available.

N770, N810, N900, N97, N85, E71, 5800xm, iPhone(retired)
AT&T & T-Mobile

Give us the option to shut off WPS discovery in N900 would be nice Had this problem with Thompson 784 and WPA.
Had to manually set up the wireless profile to be able use wifi.
Those Thompson 784 routers are very popular in Estonia.

Posts: 156 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Los Angeles, CA
Originally Posted by andrewfblack View Post
i have this problem if you get it just go to settings > connections and add a new connection it will search for wifi connections and allow you to connect that way
thanks a lot for answering this question, I couldn't connect to my much better wireless N router before, and couldn't even get a reception down stairs, now i can go anywhere in the house with wifi. I'm sure you saved me some battery too

if you still have this problem after setting up a connection, try NOT allowing the phone to search for connections and then manually putting the network name in 'network name (ssid)' field. this worked for me.

Posts: 62 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
@DojwqlO: Are you sure that you're really connecting to public wi-fi? There are many non-encrypted networks out there that aren't public, they often have MAC-filtering and other stuff. That'll give you the network connection error. Try connecting to something you know for certain is real public free wi-fi, e.g. a pub or something where they announce public free wi-fi.
TA-t3: Thanks, I know for sure the wi-fi network in my office is public and they don't have MAC filtering. They enforce authentication with the browser which initially redirects you to a page where you input credentials.
Searching for the network and defining the access points after discovering it does not work. I will try not allowing the phone to search for connections as liveslow suggests.

I've had the same problem with WPS and the work around of creating a new connection in settings worked for me. This should be fixed though

It's a stupid, simply fixed UI bug that developers so far seem to refuse to acknowledge.

The logical thing to do would be to add another button to the dialog that pops up when you select a WLAN-network that is WPS enabled which enables you to bypass WPS and connect to it in a normal way.

As an increasing number of WIFI routers become WPS-compliant this bug is going to annoy an increasing number of users - while users of other devices like the iPhone/Pad/Pod or Blackberry have no such problems since their devices bypass WPS by default.