Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
<INSERT STANDARD DO NOT GO TO EXTRAS IF YOU DO NOT KNOW THE POSSIBLE REPERCUSSIONS HEADER HERE>
I think that is this. Also, re: extras-devel, you generally want to get in & get out. In other words, enable it, do whatever you specifically intended to do, and disable it. If you leave it enabled, you might download apps or updates that were experimental/unstable without realizing it.

NEVER EVER update anything (Besides the applicatuion(s) you are testing) when you have extras-testing or extras-devel enabled. If you let the system update a library to an experimental version you are in for a world of N900 issues.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikkov View Post
Do not mention extras-devel unless you need to mplayer is in extras-testing. But before you install it; it's slow, it's not optified, there's no gui
Not optified should be a blocker, and maybe being slow, but I hope lack of a GUI will not be considered grounds for keeping mplayer out of Extras. The KB UI for mplayer is the best media player interface I have ever used.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Why is MPlayer not default? Because it's not a media framework, GStreamer is.

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Originally Posted by MrGrim View Post
Erm.... i don't quite understand.
Your thread title asks why mplayer is not there by default (implying it should), then you list reasons why it's incomplete (lack of ui and such)
Multiple personality? Senility? Indecision? (don't really take this seriously, didn't mean to offend)
I considered that, hence the first sentence, since I do not know Mplayers history or if it is new. The fact is the core of the app plays more files and played them smoother than the default player does. Point is if it has been around during the dev of the N900 OS, the guts of this player seem better for video and could have been a better option to focus resources on and be the default player. This is the whole point- why? Not a critical question.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rushmore For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
NEVER EVER update anything (Besides the applicatuion(s) you are testing) when you have extras-testing or extras-devel enabled. If you let the system update a library to an experimental version you are in for a world of N900 issues.
Thanks for the heads up! I disabled them. Just wanted Mplayer and the UI.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
where is the Mplayer UI?? Thought it was CLI only.

Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
where is the Mplayer UI?? Thought it was CLI only.
CLI is a legitimate UI.

GUI is only 3 letters. Don't drop the G. UI == User Interface.

mplayer has a great UI built in. Don't knock it if you haven't given it an honest try.

I believe the GUI is not for opening a file but for controlling playback after its running (e.g. play, pause, skipping, etc..). So mplayer itself has a playback GUI but not a GUI for editing options or a GUI method of opening files for playback.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Yes, but there is a UI called SiB in devel... or is that "devil".....

SiB works with Mplayer for accessing files and playing them in Mplayer.

Update:

I see you guy's point. Mplayer is cpu hungry. That and pulseaudio are up to 60% cpu usage. About as cpu hungry as a Flash video, but plays better

How do you test what the default player is doing in the terminal, since I see now way to get out of full screen? Only exits the player.

Sure wish the codecs played as many vids well in the default player. Mplayer plays them well.

Last edited by Rushmore; 2009-12-16 at 17:07.