Active Topics

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leeds UK
I have seen the same issues as the screen shots, from the beginning when I got the device. (the partially loaded screens, history works fine for me)
I've increased cache sizes and this improves the speed of pages, but doesn't seem to affect this problem when it occurs.
For me it just sometimes happens, it's annoying - but I'm hoping there is a fix with the next FW?

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I tried various cache sizes (including no cache at all), tried to disable javascript/flash, nothing helps.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
It's really bizarre to read experiences like this. My browser was a little slow until I changed wifi settings, and other than occasional lag on obviously heavy sites I don't see anything like what Benny is reporting.

???

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
It's really bizarre to read experiences like this. My browser was a little slow until I changed wifi settings, and other than occasional lag on obviously heavy sites I don't see anything like what Benny is reporting.

???
Post a video of your N900 loading this very site. This is one of the sites that always has issues loading.

The Following User Says Thank You to Megacrazy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by Megacrazy View Post
This is one of the sites that always has issues loading.
Works fine for me - I've just loaded it up and browsed around. Every page loaded cleanly and, as soon as it finished loading, the CPU usage dropped back off. History showed all the thumbnails properly as well. I closed down and reloaded several times and had no issues on any of them.

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post

???
Poorly written, not sufficiently tested, unoptimized code ?

It seems strange however that after having developed Internet Tablet for 5 years, the worlds biggest mobile phone company, can't write a browser, that performs decently on the most capable hardware they've ever shipped.

The fact that it works fine for others, provides some relief though, as hopefully this can be ironed out, in future iterations of the firmware. Then this'll be a leading device on the market. I just hope Nokia are aware of this, and are working to get there.

Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
Works fine for me - I've just loaded it up and browsed around. Every page loaded cleanly and, as soon as it finished loading, the CPU usage dropped back off. History showed all the thumbnails properly as well. I closed down and reloaded several times and had no issues on any of them.
Maybe some of you guys aren't hitting the browser as hard as I/we are. Either way, there's an issue with something hanging after a while somewhere. The browser is not ALWAYS slow and messing up. However, the more the phone has been on...the more likely it is to happen.

The history thing usually works but I've seen it mess up quite a few times. It displays wrong thumbnails or it forgets the pages you've been to altogether. This happens at the same time the browser is getting slow. I've seen this same behavior on other Nokia phones even if they were Symbian....strange.

Also, most of the time I have conversations open and the browser...nothing else.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Could those of you who see this problem please try the following:

a) Install the load applet so you have an idea what your CPU is doing.

b) Change your browser settings so that cache is off and the browser window does not start in full screen mode (you need to see the load applet, that's why)

c) Put a shortcut to the Google bookmark (or any other page that loads really fast and has no content below the visible area) on your desktop.

d) Power off your N900. Switch it on again. Wait until all startup tasks have settled down and CPU is more or less idle.

e) Tap on the Google bookmark. Wait until the page is loaded completely (blue bar gone) and watch the CPU applet.

f) Close the browser window.

g) Tap on the Google bookmark again. Wait until the page is loaded completely (blue bar gone) and watch the CPU applet.

My results are:

During the first load (step e), everything seems to be fine. It takes a while for the browser to load of course, but after the page has finished loading, the CPU indicator goes down again quickly.

In step g (second time I start the browser), the problem occurs for the first time: The browser starts faster, but after the page is loaded completely, the CPU-load remains high (red dot visible in the load applet) for ~15 seconds. 15 seconds after the page is fully loaded, no missing images etc, ....

After that, I see these 15 seconds of high CPU usage every time I open a website. - This is not only annoying performance-wise, I think it also helps draining my battery, doesn't it?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 127 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Could those of you who see this problem please try the following:
Following your exact steps, cache and all, I can reproduce this scenario 100%.

The browser goes down to idle quickly the first time, but stays fully loaded for at least 15 seconds on subsequently loads, of google or any other page.

I don't exactly know what this means, but it doesn't translate to a smooth or enjoyable surfing experience.

Also I've noticed, that if you try to enter or edit text in text fields, after loading the site and waiting for idle CPU, the browser will lock completely for at least 15 seconds (though this is more intermittent).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to real_per For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Megacrazy View Post
Post a video of your N900 loading this very site. This is one of the sites that always has issues loading.
Sure, once I get my replacement.