Active Topics

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by aironeous View Post
How can you possibly blame that on the consumer?
Because it's too stupid to complain and just accepts whatever proprietary crap the lazy web developer is giving him.

The Following User Says Thank You to luca For This Useful Post:
In my opinion, gnash, icedtea (openjdk = free java) and similar projects can go take a long walk off a short pier. They're trying the impossible, which is to re-do something with no idea how it was originally done. It's pretty much like trying to assemble a kit car just by looking at an assembled one (no peeking inside!), and the results will inevitably be inferior
Let's keep in mind that MIDs usually use arm architectures or similiar, not x86 as in PCs. Sometimes all it takes to make a mobile version is to recompile the code. Other times it's not that simple. Also, flash 10 is hardware-accelerated. Making it work with the gazillions of hardware combinations out there is no easy task. I don't think adobe is moving slow because they don't care (they do lose market share on sites made for mobiles, which would avoid flash), but because it's not that easy

The Following User Says Thank You to MrGrim For This Useful Post:
Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
I still would like us to get a video streaming application similar (but better) to YouTube on the iPhone/iPod Touch.

I find I mostly watch YouTube on my iPod Touch these days as its so much easier than the website. This despite the obvious flaws that it cuts off almost every video title so you cant read what is what in search results, forces you into portrait for search despite then forcing you into landscape for playback, etc. I really hope something similar is developed for the N900 as we can then watch HQ video without problems.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Why are we letting adobe flash ruin our internet playing?
There, fixed it for you. Flash is an abomination that should never have been extended to all the uses it has been. Letting a single company's product be the de facto standard for web apps is just asking for trouble.

Promote non-flash solutions and encourage HTML5 use.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
I have not found a site yet that does not work, but Hulu is an example of one that works poorly.

Most standard def Flash content plays smoothly full screen or embedded. Now, it would be nice to have a Flash player to play linked files like the Youtube app Android has. This should free up resources. They play great on Android, so should be better on the N900.

A Flashplayer to link to flv content for all- not just Youtube content would be sweet. Coreplayer has the ability to link to Flash sites and works passably for some content on my Tmo Dash.

BTW, Flash 9.4 on the N900 does use hardware acceleration. the option to leave ti on or turn it off is in the browser when playing content. I saw some posts in other threads asserting it does not.

Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
Letting a single company's product be the de facto standard for web apps is just asking for trouble.

Promote non-flash solutions and encourage HTML5 use.
Thank God (i see he's back on the forums btw) that we avoided that with microsoft products (you know, windows, word, excel etc), java and the like
Truth is, if a product gives a good solution, people will use it, proprietary or not

The wiki page says flash 10 introduced hardware acceleration. Then again, maybe it's just for x86

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
Originally Posted by MrGrim View Post
In my opinion, gnash, icedtea (openjdk = free java) and similar projects can go take a long walk off a short pier. They're trying the impossible, which is to re-do something with no idea how it was originally done.
The OpenJDK stuff is based on the Java code that Sun released as free software.

It's pretty much like trying to assemble a kit car just by looking at an assembled one (no peeking inside!), and the results will inevitably be inferior
You're right, of course. Just imagine - some of these damn hippies even thought they could write an entire operating system!

Originally Posted by ewan View Post
The OpenJDK stuff is based on the Java code that Sun released as free software.
"Based on" being the key. It's still slower than the original, and has a rough, unfinished feeling to it

You're right, of course. Just imagine - some of these damn hippies even thought they could write an entire operating system!
Yes, and they did a good job at it too - i'm using it right now. But they did it their way, and that's why it's good. Trying to imitate without actually knowing how it works inside can't really succeed. Then again, if for some reason adobe decided to go open-source with the player specs, i'd be all for it

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Alex Atkin UK View Post
I still would like us to get a video streaming application similar (but better) to YouTube on the iPhone/iPod Touch.

I find I mostly watch YouTube on my iPod Touch these days as its so much easier than the website. This despite the obvious flaws that it cuts off almost every video title so you cant read what is what in search results, forces you into portrait for search despite then forcing you into landscape for playback, etc. I really hope something similar is developed for the N900 as we can then watch HQ video without problems.
Zoutube is available in Maemo Extras for N900.

Package page: http://maemo.org/downloads/product/Maemo5/zoutube/ and T.M.O thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=34132