Poll: What device/OS platform are you coming from? Please just for non-Maemo
Poll Options
What device/OS platform are you coming from? Please just for non-Maemo

PalmOS before the 770, never looked back apart from trying garnetvm for a bit though I miss being able to sync with a Linux PC.

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by piascyk View Post
its pretty hilarious how im switching from iphone mostly for multitasking, and jailbroken iphones can now use multiflow for multitasking. its extremely limited on my 2g though
Sorry for the off topic....

Welcome to the world of devices free from lockdown!

Queue theme from Born Free.... lol

Posts: 269 | Thanked: 1,096 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hampshire, UK
I'm coming from a series of Palm Treos (600>650>680), which is IMHO still hard to beat as an OS for a PDA.
By which, I mean for holding names and addresses, keeping a schedule and diary, securely holding passwords and access codes, and syncing everything to the PC reliably and without hassle,

I made a short trip into WM6 (HTC TyTN2) for a built in GPS and an OS I could write reasonably fast software for. It was hateful, in the end I threw the thing at the wall and dug out my Treo680.

I'm hoping that the N900 can be the best of both - decent OS, customisable/programmable, and with up to date hardware capability.

Oh, and a decent web browser will be a nice change!

Originally Posted by epninety View Post
I'm coming from a series of Palm Treos (600>650>680), which is IMHO still hard to beat as an OS for a PDA.
By which, I mean for holding names and addresses, keeping a schedule and diary, securely holding passwords and access codes, and syncing everything to the PC reliably and without hassle,

I made a short trip into WM6 (HTC TyTN2) for a built in GPS and an OS I could write reasonably fast software for. It was hateful, in the end I threw the thing at the wall and dug out my Treo680.

I'm hoping that the N900 can be the best of both - decent OS, customisable/programmable, and with up to date hardware capability.

Oh, and a decent web browser will be a nice change!
What made the WM6 so hateful? Lack of stability? Complexity? Poor hardware?

Blackberry 8800 series. I hate it.

Motorola V195!

N95 8gb symbian 3rd edition feature pack 1 i think.

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 102 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Warren, MI, USA
I'm coming from the world of netbooks. N900 is replacing my Everex Cloudbook which died a few months back. It had the same screen resolution as the N900 too.

been with s60 since since 3650 was released, and i know it inside out. The magic is just not there anymore for me, s60 has come to a standstill, hardly any new apps and games anymore, so thats why im getting n900, and i must say im feeling the old magic!

Posts: 269 | Thanked: 1,096 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hampshire, UK
Originally Posted by Gadgety View Post
What made the WM6 so hateful? Lack of stability? Complexity? Poor hardware?
Unpredictable response time was my biggest bugbear. Select something from the screen or the taskbar, and it might start quickly one day, but take ages the next. I could even live with it taking ages, but the unpredictability coupled with minimal or non existant user feedback was extremely irritating. It was ok if you were just playing, but if you needed some info in a hurry...

It was fairly stable, and it was easy to write apps to run on it (which was why I defected from Palm in the first place).

My other big bugbear was the same as windows desktop - I found too often that progtams that worked on Monday didn't work when I tried next on Friday. Always assumed that something was installed or removed in the meantime that broke it, but no way to work it out quickly.

I'm happy to spend hours playing with the thing, but only when I want to, not because I need to just to make things work.

The Following User Says Thank You to epninety For This Useful Post: