Active Topics

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by ascherjim
I will also appropriately edit the btkbd script changing the "sudo gainroot" to "sudo su," which I presume was the intent of your suggestion.
Well, my suggestion was to make sudo gainroot working instead but yes, the btkbd is the right file to modify if executing the shortcut from menu doesn't work for you.

My ignorance apparently knows no end. How do I make "sudo gainroot" work for me. (A "sudo gainroot" entry in xterm currently has no effect, when "sudo su" does.) Also, I keep all my kbdd files in a special kbdd directory I've set up in /home/user, and I execute the ./btkbd command from that directory. Now that I think further on the matter, can the shortcut access that command currently, located as it is in the /home/user/kbdd directory?

In spite of the quick (and noble!) effort on the part of fanoush to update his kbdd application for Bluetooth keyboards to meet the needs of the new operating system, I find several glitches still remaining. The enter key now again only serves to toggle back and forth between my Freedom keyboard and the onscreen keyboard (instead of entering a command), ...!
Interesting...I get the same thing using a Nokia SU-8W keyboard and the Maemo-BT plugin. It happens in XTerm and sometimes Opera. In Xterm it'll pop up the virtual keyboard and in Opera it'll pop up the history list.

It is doing it right now, damn it!

And if I pop into Notes and hit the [Enter] key a few times, it fixes itself. What gives?

My ignorance apparently knows no end. How do I make "sudo gainroot" work for me.
Enable R&D mode or install latest becomeroot. I thought it is clearly written on my page in kbdd section (and in the README too, just type more README in kbdd directory).

Sorry I thought most people who need keyboard for writing can also do a bit of reading ;-)

Originally Posted by chill633
Interesting...I get the same thing using a Nokia SU-8W keyboard and the Maemo-BT plugin.
Yes, looks like it is generic thing with input method switching. The switch is effective after active window looses input focus. Or said in different way the IM swich must be done before the window you want to write to is activated. Switching between applications or just bringing up task navigator menu does this.

Through my previous forum readings, I long ago made the decision to install becomeroot as my means of gaining root, using the "sudo su" command. This has always served me well -- except apparently when trying to get certain aspects of your otherwise useful kbdd application to work.

Over the past few hours, following your suggestions, I have edited the btkbd, install_shortcut.sh and the remove_shortcut.sh scripts and substituted "sudo su" for "sudo gainroot." Now I m pleased to report that the kbdd shortcut again works fine for me!

After more than 35 years of serving as a diplomat in my country's embassies throughout the world and then afterward as a lawyer reading and writing complex statutes and other court pleadings, I would like to believe that my reading comprehension is reasonably competent. However, sometimes the writings of computer programmers when documenting their programs are not quite as precise and comprehensible as they might be. My wife, who has been a computer programmer and analyst for government agencies for over 30 years, is a fine writer and fairly accomplished at such documentation, but often despairs over the adequacy of documentation she comes across in other programmers' programs.

As I've said earlier, I have printed out your instructions and virtually committed them to memory, but perhaps they're not as clear-cut and thorough as they might be. From my standpoint, there are a few possibly critical ommissions. But none of this should detract in any substantive manner from my ongoing appreciation for the considerable assistance you've been providing to members of this forum. Please, please keep it up.

perhaps they're not as clear-cut and thorough as they might be. From my standpoint, there are a few possibly critical ommissions.
Well you can fix the documentation (i.e. README and text on my website) if you find something is not clear enough and send me changes. Others may profit from this.

I thought sentences
You need to install osso-xterm and enable R&D mode (or install becomeroot) to use it.
on the website and in README (first line)
You need to have R&D mode enabled on the device to use this.
and in section PROBLEMS
Code:
root is required for inserting the module and binding rfcomm port. This 
means you need to have R&D mode enabled for 'sudo gainroot' mechanism to 
work because the script calls itself as root via 'sudo gainroot'.
are pretty clear.

I don't disagree that the sections of your instruction and README file that you quote on the issue of working from root are reasonably clear. The option of employing "becomeroot" is established, and was understood and utilized by me. However, as it apparently turns out, and was my experience, employing the "becomeroot" option doesn't work unless certain of your scripts are edited to establish "sudo su" as the operative command. This fact, if I have understood the matter correctly, is not contained in your instructions. Now that I've appropriately performed those edits, everything seems to be working fine.

The opinion I voiced on the possible gaps in your instructions concerned aspects other than gaining root. I am not opposed to attempting to flesh out your instructions based upon my experiences, to the extent they're valid, and submit them to you through a private channel for your review and possible reworking, should such an exercise and effort on my part be truly welcome to you, and would be of benefit to other forum members

employing the "becomeroot" option doesn't work unless certain of your scripts are edited to establish "sudo su" as the operative command.
Yes that might be confusing. I added this part recently after author of becomeroot changed its way to use sudo gainroot too and provided a link to becomeroot (thinking people would actually click on it to find more). I have cleaned that up.

I am not opposed to attempting to flesh out your instructions based upon my experiences, to the extent they're valid, and submit them to you through a private channel for your review and possible reworking, should such an exercise and effort on my part be truly welcome to you, and would be of benefit to other forum members
Yes, if there is still some confusion feel free to rewrite the README as it suits you and send it to me. Thanks.

Yes, if there is still some confusion feel free to rewrite the README as it suits you and send it to me. Thanks.
I'll have a go at it in the next few days, as an excercise to assess the level of my comprehension and determine my ability at such a thing as well as to provide you and other forum users possibly with something useful.