Active Topics

Originally Posted by SubCore View Post
The default desktop on the N900 already spans over 4 screens. you can easily set up 2 of them for work and the other two for home.

or do you mean 2 completely different sets of screens for work&home? then it would be a valid enhancement request
Yes, exactly what I wanted to say. Two different sets of screens.

I noticed that I'm running out of space while testing stuff if I also like to keep some 'eye candy' for the wallpaper.

My current configuration:
1) media player, TuneWiki and Maps home widget (which I'll probably dump soon as I don't use it that much)
2) Calender + 8 shortcuts to various stuff (contacts, clock, calculator, conversations, email etc)
3) 6+ links to various webpages. Could fit several more, especially if I'd arrange the icons on top of eachother..
4) contacts (whom I deal with daily more or less, family & work)

I'm sure that once I have more experience with the device I could be more picky what I keep on the desktop, for instance I haven't used mauku or rss widgets yet but I could also drop some of the less used ones...

//K

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Nashville, TN
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
xmodmap control panel - The 3-row keyboard on the N900 is, unfortunately, missing many characters that make certain activities much easy. I'd like to see some sort of control panel that allows users to bind characters to certain functions on the keyboard (i.e., Ctrl-Fn-V for a pipe, Ctrl-Enter for tab, etc.). Although accessing xmodmap from XTerm is simple enough, modifying keyboard mappings is a fairly involved process that will be over the heads of most users.
I think that is an excellent idea. Maybe take it a little further and have map "profiles" that allow you to setup a list of changes ("Programming" -> binds brackets, pipe, etc, "Texting" -> binds keys to common phrases ex. ctl-l => lol, ctl-c => I'll call back later, etc). I'm not sure if you can bind a single key to a character string.

Anyway, the main idea is that you could have a widget in the status bar that when you clicked it gave a dropdown of pre-configured "profiles" that could quickly easily change the functionality of the keyboard.

Back to the binding of a single key to a string, that I guess is almost like a macro recorder, and might be a separate idea/program, but one that I think could have a lot of power. For instance, thinking of being on the terminal. You could bind ctl-p to "cd /home/[user]/Pictures" or some other directory that you might frequently go and didn't want to have to type out each time.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jsuggs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Originally Posted by jsuggs View Post
, the main idea is that you could have a widget in the status bar that when you clicked it gave a dropdown of pre-configured "profiles" that could quickly easily change the functionality of the keyboard.
Great idea

Wallpaper gradually changing colors from the morning to the evening, like on the PS3?
It's useless but I love it

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by thisandthathereandthere View Post
i watched many videos and saw many pictures, but i didnt see small notification icons, just the banners.
There are 3 types of notifications:
  • The Hildon Notes, which pop up big, modal orange banners in the middle of the screen that you have to tap away.
  • The Hildon Banner, which is the little banner you see near the top that go away after a timeout or when you tap them.
  • The libnotify notifications which are the ones you get for IM/SMS/email. These show a little bubble in the upper left for a short period then disappear into the dashboard. They work mostly the same as Diablo's notifications.

Originally Posted by thisandthathereandthere View Post
i thought it would be usefull to have small icon on the desktop on the side of reception bars, statuslight, Wireless activity GPS activity icons. new mail envelope with@, sms an envelope SMS stating in it, mms envelope with MMS, IM a speech bubble with "IM" in it. and for backround media an arrow with a music note just to inform you "hey there is media activity in the background" since you could be on a desktopview with out the music player widget on, and just forgotten you have the media player on for the whole day
Peter requested a GMail notifier for the desktop. It would be fairly trivial for somebody to put together additional applets for the statusbar.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kee View Post
- I'd like a way to display the wallpaper only (i.e hide the icons, shortcuts & widgets). I just downloaded some pictures of some nice ladies for my wallpapers and realized I have way too many items on screen to actually enjoy them...:/
This would probably have to be done with a Hildon Desktop patch. Add a menu item to the Hildon Home configuration menu probably.

- some generic way to turn off live widgets but still keep it on screen. For instance RSS and facebook widgets for me are things I'd like to activate only when needed...
You could probably patch the widgets to listen for a dbus signal to pause, although Nokia has had something like this on the system level for powersaving for a while.

- I wouldn't mind if it was possible to have two separate desktops which would be switchable, eg. work and freetime. Each with their own widgets, shortcuts etc. (also multiplying the available screen estate with two...would be a bonus IMHO)
Easier just to split your virtual desktops in half for now, but should be do-able.

Originally Posted by Kozzi View Post
Every desktop transition includes a number of the desktop. i.e sliding from 1-> 2 will have the number 2 appear in the middle of the screen with eye-candies of course.
Baring a patch, you could simply number the desktop images, though those wouldn't temporary.

Originally Posted by MountainX View Post
For me, something like LoadApplet that shows CPU and memory usage is very important.
That we've got!

I think that is an excellent idea. Maybe take it a little further and have map "profiles" that allow you to setup a list of changes ("Programming" -> binds brackets, pipe, etc, "Texting" -> binds keys to common phrases ex. ctl-l => lol, ctl-c => I'll call back later, etc). I'm not sure if you can bind a single key to a character string.
There are facilities for switching profiles with ctrl-space already, that plus a statusbar applet would be nice indeed.

Back to the binding of a single key to a string, that I guess is almost like a macro recorder, and might be a separate idea/program, but one that I think could have a lot of power. For instance, thinking of being on the terminal. You could bind ctl-p to "cd /home/[user]/Pictures" or some other directory that you might frequently go and didn't want to have to type out each time.
TextExpander on OS X provides similar functionality. What's an open source equivalent we could port?

Does somebody know if there is already something like TextPlus (http://www.smartcell.com/Web/pc-14-3...r-palm-os.aspx) for Maemo 5?