Active Topics

Posts: 344 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Los Angeles
Exactly what I was hoping for. Except I haven't a clue how to install it. Step by step would be helpful unless you think noobs might brick it this way. Thx!

I downloaded the latest OS2008 package then opened an xterminal (shell), changed to the folder where I downloaded the package, gained root access, then ran "dpkg -i garnet*.deb". The package installed without complaint and the application ran. I was uncertain how to exit Garnet once starting it so I ended up powering off the phone to exit.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bruce For This Useful Post:
Posts: 243 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ silicon valley
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
I downloaded the latest OS2008 package then opened an xterminal (shell), changed to the folder where I downloaded the package, gained root access, then ran "dpkg -i garnet*.deb". The package installed without complaint and the application ran. I was uncertain how to exit Garnet once starting it so I ended up powering off the phone to exit.
To quit:

Press power button and then "End current task"

To switch tasks:
Press ctrl + the '<-' key (this is the standard shortcut that works everywhere.)

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Silicon Valley - USA now, UK originally
Many thanks to sarahn and Bruce.

In case anyone cares... during install got "maemo-select-menu-location: not found". Apparently maemo-select-menu-location was removed from Maemo 5, but the Garnet installer didn't fail/doesn't seem to be reliant on it.

Now to see if I can get my Palm apps to run in there...

I installed gvm on my N900 to run the Audible Player. Audible installs ok but when I try to run it, it crashes out. I had it working on my N810. I'll try messing with the compatibility settings.

Posts: 62 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by gowen View Post
I installed gvm on my N900 to run the Audible Player. Audible installs ok but when I try to run it, it crashes out. I had it working on my N810. I'll try messing with the compatibility settings.
Please do let us know if Audible works! This is one the most important applications I'm missing from my old N95 (the others are GMail, Google Maps, and Mobipocket Reader).

I can't get Audible to work. It always throws a segmentation fault. As Audible was the only app I wanted to run in Garnet I'm going to remove it until a native Maemo5 version is released.

What would be better would be for Nokia to write a native Audible Client as per the AudibleReady Program

I just installed the deb file using the red pill method and it worked perfectly. now i am going to go get some programs for it. I need a good pregnancy calculator

Originally Posted by thedoctor View Post
I just installed the deb file using the red pill method and it worked perfectly. now i am going to go get some programs for it. I need a good pregnancy calculator
Congratulations!
I suggest "hey baby" and last "Labor Time". There´s also "PG Calc". All for Palmos.

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!