Posts: 206 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Switzerland
Thanks Zerojay.

Too bad he did not support the file transfer.
Aucune chance, donc, de voir le support du XDCC avec IRC. (I Like Japan anime Fansub)...

RTCOMM and software "Messaging" are FOSS (Free and Open Source Software)?

An opportunity for a community member to add this feature?

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by korbé View Post
Thanks Zerojay.

Too bad he did not support the file transfer.
Aucune chance, donc, de voir le support du XDCC avec IRC. (I Like Japan anime Fansub)...

RTCOMM and software "Messaging" are FOSS (Free and Open Source Software)?

An opportunity for a community member to add this feature?
What you will need to work on is telepathy-idle, the connection manager for IRC used in RTCOMM. I don't believe DCC of any kind is supported in it, nor file transfers. It is free and open source.

I also do not believe any connection manager for telepathy allows file transfers though I may be wrong.

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
im looking forward to a ICQ client too..hopefully with file-transfer aswell

Posts: 206 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Switzerland
Gabble (for XMPP) and Butterfly (for MSN) support file transfer.

And normally, for the integration of Empathy (it useTelepathy) in Ubuntu, it's planned to add the file transfers to a maximum of protocol.

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
When using yahoo, will we be able to be online as "invisible"? I ask since this isnt possible in the current chat client.

ok, a phone with keyboard without the three most used messengers, the prepaid phones have yahoo and they don't bother to push for a client.
Nokia should have basic software for messaging that works with them, simple they can solve it with money instead of waiting on the community ...
I'm not buying the n900, I'll wait for the next one if it's better...

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
You are aware Jabber supports ALL those and more? You just need to add the transports in.

I wish people learned to better appreciate jabber. It trully is the best thing out there.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ruskie For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ruskie View Post
You are aware Jabber supports ALL those and more? You just need to add the transports in.

I wish people learned to better appreciate jabber. It trully is the best thing out there.
When the gateways are good and stable.

I was very enthusiastic about it at first, I used it alot in the beginning. But it was far from reliable, especially for ICQ. And if the gateway crash on the server, all you can do is wait for the admin to restart it. Which can be long sometimes.

Or you can build your own jabber server but... Not everyone can do it.

I prefer to use Telepathy transports yet.

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
Hmmm if you need to wait for an admin then that means the server isn't well configured but that's another matter.

I must say I never had much of a problem with those. But then I consider ICQ/MSN/Y! etc... support secondary. IRC is my prefrred way(through ssh+dtach+irssi) then Jabber

And the main reason for getting a N900 for me is the ability to be online with jabber all the time. Then I will hardly need a phone anymore.

The Following User Says Thank You to ruskie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I used to run a tablet specific Jabber server for this community, so yes... Jabber is one hell of a great thing, but the release of RTCOMM pretty much removed the need for it anymore.

Tags
conversations, maemo 5