Notices

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
It is amazing how similar your solution is to mine. This is the pic I uploaded to Flickr in April 2008:

The next picture I uploaded was a working bicycle (with turning wheels) in numpty:

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
Originally Posted by BrentDC View Post
Ooh, yeah, I just solved it (30 minutes later...).

That level was evil!

.................................................. ................................
Attached Images

Originally Posted by nhanquy View Post
.................................................. ................................
Were you able to solve it from there? I wasn't, because I couldn't get the yellow one down with the red on in the way. I had to start over, then first get the yellow one down (via the unwind method) then get the red one up via the wind method.

Eek.

BTW, I just checked the Numpty garage page, and there are tons more levels! (I had previously finished all the built-in one AND third-party ones this summer, but now there are a lot more).

Author of TouchSearch -- web searching software for Maemo 5.

Mobile Device lineage: Palm Z22 -> Palm TX -> Nokia N800 -> Nokia N900

The Following User Says Thank You to BrentDC For This Useful Post:
Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
I did take the yellow ball out but could not put the red one in the first try!

So maybe like you said, we have to have the yellow ball out first.

Last edited by nhanquy; 2009-05-05 at 22:59.

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ China
Just a quick newbie question: how do you load the user-submitted levels to Numpty Physics? I've searched all over and I can't find any directions for opening up the user-levels or how to install them.
I have the *.npz files saved in a subfolder of the Games folder on my n810, but I can't find a control, command or simple way of getting these levels to run.

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Wichita, KS
palmleavr: if you have the *.nph files (not npz; i'm guessing you had a typo there) in the right folder, they'll automatically be detected when the game starts up, and you just have to use the arrow keys to flip through and find them. (I'm not sure what logic the game uses to put them in order, though... perhaps alphabetical?)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmjanzen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 44 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ China
Okay, now I think I understand one of my problems with running the Numpty Physics levels:
All the extra levels I downloaded from http://numptyphysics.garage.maemo.org/levels/
have *.npz as their extension. Instead of downloading individual levels, I clicked on the "all" links. I assume that *.npz are compressed versions of all the extra levels. I'll try to download the *.nph files individually.
Anyone know how to open the *.npz files?

Sounds like they're gzipped files. I don't recall if 'file' is available on the tablet (a working one, anyway), but if so then just run file on any of those files (e.g. file filename.npz) and it'll tell you. If not, then try 'gzip -l' (minus ell) and it'll complain if it's not a gzipped file, if it is then it will just tell you its uncompressed size. If so, then just do 'gunzip -c file.npz > file.nph'. Of course, if it's not gzipped at all then something else must be done!

Posts: 263 | Thanked: 679 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Lyon, France
Originally Posted by nhanquy View Post
Has anyone solved the level 8 w/o pause? and level 9?

My solution with "pause" for level 8 .......
*A* solution without pause is to let the ball drop, and then draw a line through the ball, over the tree, and with a heavy weight on the end.

The weight falls, the end with the ball starts to arc, and if you delete the weighted line at just the right moment, it will keep going over the tree.

No screenshot, sorry

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by dneary View Post
*A* solution without pause is to let the ball drop, and then draw a line through the ball, over the tree, and with a heavy weight on the end.

The weight falls, the end with the ball starts to arc, and if you delete the weighted line at just the right moment, it will keep going over the tree.

No screenshot, sorry
What, you couldn't do all of that without pausing, and take a screenshot at the same time?

Pansy.