Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
The posted version seems not to allow backing swap in a swapfile, as is default on tablets; only a partition is allowed. Most likely locusf ported the 0.5 version instead that the latest. So I'm forced to do as described above.

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Ah sorry. Yes I was trying a updated version I built -- not many benefits other than the statistics it seems.

Would you mind posting the updated version? I'd appreciate... :-)

Of course; attaching binaries & source.

I remember editing something at the source file but I don't remember what, you'll have to diff the attached source over the original version to know.

BTW, it seems upstream released a patch to allow older kernels to emit "swap page freed" notifications. May be interesting to watch.
Attached Files
File Type: gz ramzswap.tar.gz (45.5 KB, 129 views)
File Type: gz compcache-0.6pre2-n8x0-source.tar.gz (25.7 KB, 120 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
debernardis, do you have any timings from openoffice? If this gives some useful performance improvements, I'll add it to a future version of Easy Debian / Mer...

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
debernardis, do you have any timings from openoffice? If this gives some useful performance improvements, I'll add it to a future version of Easy Debian / Mer...
OOWriter starts exactly in 140 seconds, with or without ramzswap, after a fresh boot.

BUT... I feel my tablet someway quicker with that driver on. Like I changed its motor oil Of course I can't deny the role of the placebo effect.

How could I try to measure the slickyness of my NIT???

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 159 | Thanked: 341 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
Hey guys, I recently noticed that ramzswap doesn't work on the 2.6.21, the latest version that it will work on is 2.6.28. So the latest cool features like the swap notification or multiple devices are not supported in N810, sorry about that :/. But when the Rx-51 hits the market, it will have the 2.6.28 kernel so lets hack a version for the fremantle kernel as well

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to locusf For This Useful Post:
Oh, I did not try the latest 0.6pre3, but 0.6pre2 definitely works (check a few posts above). Also, the bio_discard thing should not be as important if someone can backport the kernel patch compcache just published.

Multiple devices... what you want that for? But they should work AFAIK.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
How could I try to measure the slickyness of my NIT???
Maybe try running a graphics and animation heavy powerpoint presentation in OOO?

Posts: 159 | Thanked: 341 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
Due to the launch of N900 I have decided to create an application which controls the ramzswap kernel module, its called ramzez, available in garage.maemo.org. It will include the kernel modules for Diablo and Fremantle and will be installable as debian package, the GUI part will use PyGTK. Other things to include are initscripts for automatic loading during startup

EDIT: I'll also try to find time to use systemtap for benchmarks on the device, like comparing internal swap and ramzswap.

Last edited by locusf; 2009-09-06 at 17:35.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to locusf For This Useful Post: