Active Topics

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Tose devices are unecessary with the N810 which already has the ability to use it's own speakers and microphone with Skpye. The heaset that came with the N810 will also work with Skype as should many bluetooth headsets used with cell phones.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Posts: 111 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Raleigh, NC
We use Skype on my n810 regularly with the provided headset.
It's not as convenient as a regular phone. My wife hates those bluetooth headsets.
Question:
If I had a bluetooth headset paired and received a call with the headset lying next to the n810, ie. not being worn, will we hear it ring?

Posts: 208 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Florida
So you're saying you can push a button on the headset to answer a skype call?

I was looking at the Motorola S9-HD Stereo Bluetooth headphones for my head set and although I've read the audio is great, I've heard the mic quality sucks. Thats a shame too, they're cool looking.

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
The stereo protocol for bluetooth isn't included in the N810. Perhaps there's one available but you might want to verify before making a headset purchase.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Stereo audio (aka a2dp) quality is not all that great using stereo bluetooth headphones under Linux (to do with a current lack of high accuracy timers).

As fragos said, this is not actually supported out of the box either, though can be made to work with mplayer, canola, ukmp, etc.

thanks for your help guys

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Illinois
We use Skype on my n810 regularly with the provided headset.
It's not as convenient as a regular phone. My wife hates those bluetooth headsets.
Question:
If I had a bluetooth headset paired and received a call with the headset lying next to the n810, ie. not being worn, will we hear it ring?
No. There might be some setting you could change but I doubt it. You could turn your headset volume up all the way and might hear it ring, some headsets can get pretty loud.

Well, that's a bummer.
I still think think a USB adapter/phone would be more convenient for home use.
See post 10 in this thread.

Originally Posted by jpramlak View Post
Well, that's a bummer.
I still think think a USB adapter/phone would be more convenient for home use.
See post 10 in this thread.
Is the tablet your only computer?

No, the tablet is not my only computer. I have a desktop, laptop and an old (PII) Linux box, as well as a work laptop.
We use Skype on the n810 primarily for its mobility/convenience.
I could get a USB cordless phone for use on my other computers, but that would mean:
a) it has be on
b) it must be logged in with Skype running
c) other users in my household (2 kids, 1 wife) won't be able to use their accounts
Also, per a post above, one will not be able to hear an incoming call if a Bluetooth headset is paired and not being worn.
I have found these Linux compatible Skype phones: http://www.echostore.com/usbphonelinux.html
It uses software called Skypemate. Maybe there's a way...