Active Topics

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
Sure, but even modern fighters use turbofans. Admitedly, they are low bypass varieties. Airliners today, unless they are turboprops, use turbofans exclusively.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
While we are sort of on the subject...

The other day I was getting my oil changed @ a service center and while waiting, I broke out my trusty N800 to sniff out a free WiFi connection if one was about.
When I fired up connection manager I saw my cell phones BT connection, one or two locked WiFi connections, and then an unlocked connection called > US AIRWAYS FREE WIFI.

I quickly clicked on the sucker and the tablet attempted a connection that eventually failed. When I reopened the connections window, that listing was now gone.

I was about 15 miles from the nearest runway. Does anybody know if US Air has WiFi on board flights and is it possible that the tablet sniffed the connection momentarily of a plane flying overhead?

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
While we are sort of on the subject...

The other day I was getting my oil changed @ a service center and while waiting, I broke out my trusty N800 to sniff out a free WiFi connection if one was about.
When I fired up connection manager I saw my cell phones BT connection, one or two locked WiFi connections, and then an unlocked connection called > US AIRWAYS FREE WIFI.

I quickly clicked on the sucker and the tablet attempted a connection that eventually failed. When I reopened the connections window, that listing was now gone.

I was about 15 miles from the nearest runway. Does anybody know if US Air has WiFi on board flights and is it possible that the tablet sniffed the connection momentarily of a plane flying overhead?
Nah - more likely that there was a laptop around the area displaying an adhoc connection called that.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
someone trying to do password grabs by way of fake hotspots maybe?

Posts: 357 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Sunny England :)
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
I get that occasionally at work in Birmingham, UK. Figured that it was because we're (relatively) close to the airport. Never been able to connect to it. It is an adhoc connection.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by EIPI View Post
Nah - more likely that there was a laptop around the area displaying an adhoc connection called that.
Yup...

http://www.google.com/search?q=us+ai...=1I7GGIC_en-US

Originally Posted by tso View Post
someone trying to do password grabs by way of fake hotspots maybe?
That too...

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/hiner/?p=602

Thanks fellas for the reality check.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
iirc, the tablet should indicate a adhoc network by showing a extra dot in the icon next to it...

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
Well, you just never know with wifi APs sometimes... I mean, I throw a lot of my friends off when they pull out their tablets or Iphones and see "Jeep" show up while walking through the parking lot; (now admittedly that's not as deceptive as "US Airways", but still same sort of thing...) all it takes is somebody with a desire to name their access point to try to mess with others, and put it somewhere that you don't expect it... (lol I wonder how many people I could throw for a loop by setting up a second virtual AP with an SSID of "Westjet FREE WIFI" on my Jeep's AP...)

Good to know I'm not the only one with an AP in their vehicle :]

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by wazd View Post
Finaly there's real competitor to the tablets!
Let me introduce you new Airbus A380!
-4 15" high-res displays!
-HD tail camera for unpresidented photography!
-Full QWERTY Keyboard!
-Analog navigation stick (Awesome for games and stuff!)
-4 turbo-jet engines that outpeforms OMAP3 like a deadman!

Beware, Nokia!1 New king is comming!

I don't know how many times I have to say this... but:

1) it has windows, and I wont buy any mobile device with windows

2) I don't see a built-in 3G radio, and I expect my mobile devices to have that these days...

The Following User Says Thank You to johnkzin For This Useful Post: