Active Topics

This error message is generic and it means that one or more of your package list could not be retrieved. Unfortunatelly, the application manager does not display which specific entry generated the error.

You can investigate it using the Xterm:

> sudo /usr/sbin/gainroot
# apt-get update

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
I read the install instructions, added the correct repository's and it installed with no problem, login was a snap.

Question, how to I manage my contacts? Do I need another gtalk client to manage them???

Originally Posted by penguinbait
I read the install instructions, added the correct repository's and it installed with no problem, login was a snap.

Question, how to I manage my contacts? Do I need another gtalk client to manage them???
Yes, if you want to manage your contacts, you need another client, like gaim for example. At this moment you are not able to manage your contacts using the Tapioca UI.

Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
Reggie's back! We missed you, Mr. News!

After installing the Tapioca, neither one is going online.
I have uninstalled the Tapioca, still googletalk is not looging in

Any help?

Thanks.

This maybe a silly question, but can anyone explain to me (and all those other users out there who cant figure it out) why I should use Tapioca over the pre-installed Gtalk client?

Thanks!

Posts: 373 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Ottawa, ON
Originally Posted by dattani98
This maybe a silly question, but can anyone explain to me (and all those other users out there who cant figure it out) why I should use Tapioca over the pre-installed Gtalk client?

Thanks!
No reason in particular right now other than it is fast and has a simple interface. I haven't compared memory usage or voice quality yet so I can't comment on those.

I would guess that the SIP integration (via Sophia-SIP based on the Tapioca website) that is upcoming would make it more useful for those that have some other SIP service other than Gizmo.

And it is Open Source ... if that matters to you or you are a programmer that can help improve things.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by dattani98

Thanks!

I know of a great reason, and I may get some people upset with this, but the integrated maemo client is garbage. I am hoping that tapioca will eventually either integrate into AIM or provide a means for contact management. That said I know that some people say the googletalk client on 770 works great, it just has never worked for me. If using IPKALL googletalk client crashes when I recieve unauthorized incomming calls. This makes free incomming calls kind of worthless.

Today for the first time I was able to make outgoing calls and use my 770 for the first time to accept ANY incomming call without the application crashing.

Woo Hoo

Well that being said Tapioca is lacking when it comes to features, and it did crash one time on me, but it still is better for me than the integrated gtalk client.

Awesome job, can't wait to see future versions. And it is way cleaner than Gizmo, Gizmo seems to be really heavy on the system.

Hi all,

This is my first post on this forum and of course my first Nokia 770. I am a very happy user so far. Just a quick question that i wanted to ask. How do i install this application? there is no .deb file that i can download and install?? How do I add the following in the application catalouge:

Web Address: http://maemo.org.br/VoIP/apt
Distribution: mistral
Components: main

thanks in advance

- shez

OK...Help!!!

I added the third repository (as mentioned above) for the missing libglade dependency. Now the application catalog still gives me the 'unable to refresh' error, but the list is now blank.

I am going to delete the 3 tapioca entries and see if I can refresh.