Active Topics

Hi,

I had some fun from my Mac before I got it to work.

You run the flasher command from terminal (after you have su'd to root)

You get the waiting for USB message from the flasher program.

Then you plug in the Nokia - Make sure it's really switched off, e.g. long press on the on/off button, and then when it's plugged in, turn it on, so that it reboots

After turning on, the flasher program will wake up and do the deed.

I avoided using a hub - plugging straight into the Mac when I had problems.

Oh, and don't forget the --reboot option on the end of your command (don't know if it makes any difference, but it was in the instructions that I was blindly following)

Cheers ... Grant.

Edit: Added --reboot comment

Last edited by Gwaant; 2005-11-22 at 15:30.

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Eugene, Oregon
Put the info in the HowTo Wiki, Dude! And Thanks!

Oh, for all who might not know what the 'long press' of the power button is. When you press the power button of a linux device which is turned on it does an 'orderly' shutdown, of the kind that you want to do most of the time. When you hold the power button down for more than 5 seconds it bypasses the code for an orderly shutdown and stops the device cold, in a way you usually want to avoid. Yes, there are exceptions, as noted here.

Last edited by Remote User; 2005-11-23 at 17:52. Reason: More Info

Posts: 108 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Central London
Ah, now in my case I hadn't powered it down on my last attempt - tried just now and also included the --reboot command as suggested.

It still didn't work, but I was still using sudo rather than /actually becoming root/ using su.

As far as I know, there isn't a root account on my mac (you can enable it I think, but I'll have to go and figure out how to do that).

I'll give this a try and report back, but it's looking like this stuff doesn't work with sudo (or perhaps there's something else wrong.. :|)

Thanks for all the suggestions so far anyhow!

Woo hoo! I finally worked it out after reading a few OSX howtos

Running the flasher utility with sudo doesn't quite cut it, and yet I was a bit reluctant to open up the security issues created by having a root account on the machine.

What you need to do, is open a root shell with sudo -s and run the flasher utility from there... No need to enable root!

users-Computer:~ user$ sudo -s
Password:
users-Computer:~ root# ls
.DS_Store .Xauthority .fonts.cache-1 .ssh Desktop Library Music
.Trash .bash_history .gimp-2.2 .xinitrc.old Documents Maemo tools Pictures
users-Computer:~ root# cd Maemo\ tools/
users-Computer:~/Maemo tools root# ls
.DS_Store flasher
users-Computer:~/Maemo tools root# ./flasher --enable-rd-mode --reboot
Suitable USB device not found, waiting
USB device found found at bus 001, device address 004-0421-0105-02-00
Found board Nokia 770 (F5)
NOLO version 0.9.0
The device is now in R&D mode
users-Computer:~/Maemo tools root#

Can't get it to work on Linux... although that might be because it's Linux inside VMWare. I can get it to see the 770, but then it gives some timeout message while the 770 is still powering on.

Whenever I try it a second time it then proceeds to blue screen my Windows host

I'd say your best bet is to get it to see the Nokia as a USB sorage device first - I haven't used VMWare in a while, but I'm sure it must be possible to get it to see the host's USB ports... (in that case I'd think they won't be usable by the host at the same time...)

See if you can get to the stage where you plug the Nokia in when it's switched on, and get it to mount as a USB disk on the desktop (most Linuxes do this). I guess the easiest way is to first google for it; if that fails, try VMware tech support - tell them you want your gues OS to be able to see a USB thumb drive connected to the host's hardware USB port...

When you're confident it's not just the fact that the VM can't see the USB port, try the flasher with the reboot option again - and make sure you're really root, or at least sudo -s into a root shell as I did on the mac

Oh, by the way, now that I've managed to do it, I've added a step-by-step guide to gaining root on the 770 using a Mac to the Maemo wiki...

was that the right place to have put it - what's the deal with the duplicate wikis here and at maemo..?

Smiley Dan, if you get it to work in VMware, I seriously hope you wiki it up for us mate

Since VMware player is now available for free, those of us with a full copy could make and distribute some ready-to-go images to allow those who don't to have a go with all this
(I guess you've all heard of the maemo livecd - well it works on Virtual PC which is what I've got - I'm sure that could be bundled up into a nice VMWare Player distributable, ready to run on any Windows machine and all without the end-user needing a paid-for VMWare license! - the person making the Player distro would need one obviously...)

Last edited by dsmudger; 2005-11-24 at 11:51.

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Eugene, Oregon
Originally Posted by dsmudger
what's the deal with the duplicate wikis here and at maemo..?
I'll repeat here a post I made at TKO's blog. He's the first one who complained about this. By the way, you both are knocking down a straw man. By that I mean that you are stating that the HowTo Wikis are duplicates, then objecting to that. It is, of course, NOT true that they are duplicates, so you're objecting to an idea you have in your own mind, a strawman, and you're not actually objecting to the material on this site because it is NOT a duplicate of what's at Maemo. Here's what I wrote to Tommi, to which he has not responded.

It's premature to judge, on the first day, the software and HowTo Wikis at ITT. At Maemo the explanation of 'Contributing Applications' is this: "If you have written an application using the maemo development platform and would like to announce it then visit our Application Catalog wiki page and add some information about your project.

OK, so what about applications that are not written using Maemo? Where do we make mention of those?

Nokia's Dr. Ari Jaaksi stated, "The goal of the (Maemo) organization is to provide Nokia with the best possible open source based technology and collaborate directly with various open source projects."

OK, so what about applications that are not 'open source'? Where do we make mention of those?

How can you not understand the need for places to talk about uses of the 770 that are not local apps based on Maemo or ar not open source apps? If Maemo wants to be versatile enough to host all the information about all the apps, Maemo or not, and about all the apps, open source or not (and that means commercial apps!) then it has to withdraw its current statements and embrace every kind of application. If Maemo wants to continue to exclude non-Maemo apps and apps which are not open source, then that's fine, but it can't complain about other software sites that do NOT exclude non-Maemo apps and apps which are NOT open source.

On what basis does anyone tell anyone else that it is confusing or, to even hint that it is wrong(!), to provide a place on the Internet which catalogs ANY kind of application that makes the 770 useful to someone?

There you have it. Maemo is the "official site" which has a tight focus. ITT is whatever else it can be - the horizon at ITT is wide open. I personally doubt very much that Nokia understands remote X computing and I doubt very much at Nokia will ever get behind it. Nokia's failure to comprehend the value of the 770 as the most verstile X terminal ever built (so far) would be a huge disservice to the people on this planet who should not be penalized for such shortsightedness. I am dedicated to the idea that the 770 will be used for remote X apps in spite of the fact that Nokia doesn't understand the broad role of X in software today and its potential for tomorrow. I don't want Nokia's view - Maemo - to limit what the 770 really represents, a device with a MUCH bigger role than merely being a mobile Linux device.

Last edited by Remote User; 2005-11-24 at 18:19. Reason: More Thought

Originally Posted by dsmudger
See if you can get to the stage where you plug the Nokia in when it's switched on, and get it to mount as a USB disk on the desktop (most Linuxes do this). I guess the easiest way is to first google for it; if that fails, try VMware tech support - tell them you want your gues OS to be able to see a USB thumb drive connected to the host's hardware USB port...
I've actually already done this - this was my first test to make sure I could just connect. I mounted the RS-MMC card fine and could read the contents.

It's just when I run the flasher then turn on the 770 that I have first the timeout, then the blue screen. It's probably equally something to do with the fact I am using RHEL AS 4 which isn't even supported in Workstation 5 (I don't think). Was going to try at a LiveCD next but your encouragement has worked and I'll keep hammering away at VMWare.

Great idea about the player btw... The Maemo LiveCD is an obvious thing to try first, but does this have the flasher on it as part of scratchbox etc?

Continuing the VMware thread, I just installed VMware player and the small AstLinux image. Logged in as root, the flasher program runs but won't wake from waiting for a suitable USB device when attempting to enable R&D mode. VMware player recognizes a "Nokia Mobile Phones USB device" when I turn on the 770, and when I click on it in the VMware player window, linux responds with "usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 10" is displayed in the shell. However, it is not recognized immediately by the flasher. After a few minutes, I get a number of "set_rtc_mmss: can't update from 5 to 55" messages. Does this mean the flasher is actually trying?

FYI, the device is plugged straight into my laptop, no USB hub.

Note that if I leave a RS-MMC card in the 770 and connect it normally, VMware and AstLinux do recognize a USB SCSI device and I can mount it and access the card as expected. Thus I'm suprised why the USB mode for the flasher doesn't seem to work.

Has anyone gotten the flasher to work under VMware?