Active Topics

So, after all these months, how are things working out with the portable batteries?

I'm looking for one for my N800 since I made the switch to using Canola for playing MP3s and video. Before that, I was using my Creative Vision M (which just died recently) for audio/ video and my Nintendo DS for audio/games. I had custom portable battery chargers for both: using AAs for my Creative, and using AAAs for the DS. They are VERY useful in places where outlets are not available.

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Poland / Bialystok
I just bought simple "emergency" charger powered by one AA battery.
On 2500mAh NiMH cell this can charge my n810 to circa 35%.
Quite good value for money since charger itself was about $6 shipped.

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ South Florida
I picked up one of these in the clearance bin at office max/depot...

http://www.amazon.com/Xantrex-Techno.../dp/B000R9T3T8

Charges from a PC/wall/car - and with the dealextreame usb/powercable I can get 2 to 3 full recharges on my N800.

Sweet! I'm thinking of picking up the MP1550 that Lord Raiden picked up b/c, like him, I want something that I can put AAs into. Though, I did pick up the custom battery charger for my Creative from eBay, and I'm planning to look there to see if there any other kinds.

Posts: 221 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Central Illinois
I own the Tekkeon MP1550 and I really like it. It can use either 2 or 4 AAs. It can also recharge batteries like the eneloops (which is what I use). I also own the Tekkeon MP1600 to recharge the MP1550 from a wall socket, but any ac-to-usb adapter would work, or even a powered usb port on a computer.

So, how long does it last with your tablet? Does it charge or just keep the current constant? Also, are you using the supplied cables/ adapters? Thanks!

Posts: 362 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Sydney, Australia
I have the same setup as terrencegf (except I have a kensington travel adapter that includes a usb out - to charge the batteries in the tekkeon MP1550).
The MP1550 includes all tips that are needed to charge the n8x0. Pop in some batteries (I too use eneloops) and charge away.
4 eneloops gives about 1 full charge + "change" to the N800.

The Following User Says Thank You to nikolajhendel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 28 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
I have recently been using the IceTech foldable solar charger (http://tinyurl.com/icetech) to power/charge my N800 as well as a variety of other small electronics. With switchable output from 4.5-9 volts, standard-issue charge tips, USB charging cable, and AC input charger, it covers the bases. On a recent trip I got 3 full charges from the IceTech before charging it. And on a multi-day car trip in sunny Malaysia it stayed topped up by laying it on the dashboard. It's pricy, at $90 but indispensable to serious travelers.

This solar charger looks to be the same as the IceTech but for one-third the price.

I have the higher capacity model from the same company, which has a 3000maH battery. It works quite well with my N810 and the folding case is just slightly larger than the N810 when closed.

Originally Posted by nikolajhendel View Post
I have the same setup as terrencegf (except I have a kensington travel adapter that includes a usb out - to charge the batteries in the tekkeon MP1550).
The MP1550 includes all tips that are needed to charge the n8x0. Pop in some batteries (I too use eneloops) and charge away.
4 eneloops gives about 1 full charge + "change" to the N800.
WOW! I just got mine in the mail, and I have to say that the MP1550 is AWESOME! I was down to less than 1 bar on my N800, but then using the MP1550, I put in 4 of my I-C3 batteries, and I got a full charge with still 2 lights left on the devices.

THANKS for the recommendation.