Active Topics

Posts: 128 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Philadelphia, PA
Originally Posted by konttori
They did mention that it's opera 8. I wouldn't hold my breath on the flash 8 support though (and thus google video). Maybe that the new opera will be able to process google cal and reader (and notepad) though.
Here is the current info when you enter "opera:about" (w/o the quotes) in the current opera version:

Version information
Version 8.02 Internal
Build 1.0.88
Platform Linux
System armv5tejl, 2.6.12.3-omap1

XHTML+Voice Not available

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; ; Linux armv5tejl; U) Opera 8.02 [en] N770/SU-18_0.2006.04-1_PR

So I guess we're stuck with the same old browser that has its limits. : (

Any word on whether or not this update will erase every installed app/setting on the 770? I wish they'd make updates simply updates, not re-flashing the memory.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
It'll wipe everything... which - given no existing application will work - is not a Bad Thing[TM].

I can also fully understand why they do it as it makes support trivial.

For reference, with the proper package management in the 2006 OS it'll be harder to move installed apps to the MMC to work around having to re-install them post-upgrade.

So far, the update sounds interesting. As a consumer, they said stuff I wanted to hear. Improved speed and memory performance, added features etc.

We shall see how it really performs though.

Posts: 373 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Ottawa, ON
Originally Posted by kutibah
Any word on whether or not this update will erase every installed app/setting on the 770? I wish they'd make updates simply updates, not re-flashing the memory.
They had promised in the past that this update would include a proper means of installing software. This means that all the third-party packages will have to be rebuilt but that there will be dependency checking and package updating. I suspect that they are going to a full apt-get.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
No need to suspect: it's a full apt-based system. Documentation for package authors is in Subversion:

https://stage.maemo.org/viewcvs.cgi/...installer/doc/

Username/password: guest/guest.

Originally Posted by c_legaspi
full screen keyboard? the current layout already takes half the screen.
Since I'm focused on the keys and the text box when entering text... I'd gladly give up the other half of the screen if they would make more characters accessible without having to punch three keys to get one character.

But, I'm not interested in typing with my fingers at all...

I just hope that you can change the default because with T-Mobile as my provider, I can't access google sites at all.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by spiderx
I just hope that you can change the default because with T-Mobile as my provider, I can't access google sites at all.

Where are you located? I am in Michigan and my T-mobile works great with all google sites? The 770 has browser issues with some sites, but I can access them all. I have the 29.95 internet plan, but even with my wifes phone I can get to google with no internet plan, and no t-zones needed. If you use wap.voicestream.com and use proxy getmorespeed.voicestream.com 8080

Originally Posted by penguinbait
Where are you located? I am in Michigan and my T-mobile works great with all google sites? The 770 has browser issues with some sites, but I can access them all. I have the 29.95 internet plan, but even with my wifes phone I can get to google with no internet plan, and no t-zones needed. If you use wap.voicestream.com and use proxy getmorespeed.voicestream.com 8080
What phone are you using? how is the 30.00 connection plan?