Posts: 38 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Colombia
mmm mine got stuck, what to do?? first time i tried turning it off it corrupted the whole OS...

Yodainva
Did you ever complete your install? If so, how goes it?
I thought people would be falling over themselves downloading this!
Guess I am waiting to hear how others fare...testing the waters.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by [[ cold ]] View Post
mmm mine got stuck, what to do?? first time i tried turning it off it corrupted the whole OS...

It what way was it stuck? Also turning off the OS in the middle of a install should not corrupt your whole OS?? At worst you would have to fix the broken package. Since this is boot from SD, ANYTIME you crash YOU SHOULD ALWAYS run fsck on the boot volume.

The boot from SD installer Deb, makes it so all you have to do is boot to flash and it will fsck all ext2 partitions on all cards.

It plays a wav when complete, then you can boot back to your "boot from SD version".
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Yodainva and Greyghost, how did you fare??

pb
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

I got stuck at about 90MB--disconnected internet and reconnected, still stuck. Left it running all night, still stuck.

Originally Posted by yodainva View Post
I got stuck at about 90MB--disconnected internet and reconnected, still stuck. Left it running all night, still stuck.
can you open tablethacker.com in a webpage?

can you do a "ps -ef" and PM me the output??

hi penguinbait,

Can I run WINE straight up after installing the DEB or there are additional steps to take to make it happen? I still consider myself a newbie, but getting to know enough to be destructive:-)

btw, I have N800 with 16GB. I installed KDE with your KDE358v2.tar.bz2 and SUPv2.tgz(I pulled them out from your site directly and untar them). All went well, except I have to move the xmodmap.desktop out of the autostart as indicated by others here to avoid the screen lock problem. My N800 was set to en_US.

best regards,

Originally Posted by cheve View Post
hi penguinbait,

Can I run WINE straight up after installing the DEB or there are additional steps to take to make it happen? I still consider myself a newbie, but getting to know enough to be destructive:-)

btw, I have N800 with 16GB. I installed KDE with your KDE358v2.tar.bz2 and SUPv2.tgz(I pulled them out from your site directly and untar them). All went well, except I have to move the xmodmap.desktop out of the autostart as indicated by others here to avoid the screen lock problem. My N800 was set to en_US.

best regards,
WINE??? OK, put down the wine

There is no WINE with KDE, nor do I think anything could run well through WINE on the tablet.????

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Austin, Texas
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
Yodainva and Greyghost, how did you fare??

pb

Sorry PB, I too got 'stuck' and I think I'll need to re-flash. I was about to do it but wanted to check this thread just in case.

To the best of my recollection, here's what happened. I downloaded the installer and began the install yesterday and reported that the d/l had stalled. I only had a few hours at work with connectivity, so when I left, it still hadn't budged, but, I thought, when I get home, I'll get connected again and let it resume.

Well, in the interim, my N810 ran out of battery power. When, after charging it, I turned it back on and the first thing I noticed was the fact that the "Personal Menu" app I'd installed and was using in place of my "Contacts" icon on the left side of the screen was 'missing'.

EDIT: I just noticed that the Status Bar elements, though checked, are not showing on the Home screen as well.

I checked the control panel and found that, although 'Personal Menu' still seems to be 'there', checking it does not restore it. In other words, 'Personal Menu' remains checked in the control panel but the Contacts icon still shows up (and has the contact links) on the home screen. Of course, there is the real possibility that attempting to install KDE had nothing to do with this

Ok, no sweat, I guess. I figured, hopefully, that if I finished the KDE install as planned, this problem would go away. Alas, opening the installation manger begins with a pop-up message that says 'Operation Failed' and trying to begin again by 'installing from file' pops up a message that says 'Not enough memory in target location'.

I have a clean 2GB card. I think it is clean, anyway, since I cannot see any files on it, but I haven't re-formatted it since the last re-flash was necessitated by the 'card bug' that went through here in the last month or so.

I hope this was enough info. It may be that losing the charge was the key error, and if you have any suggestions before I re-flash, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks again for working on this. I don't mind being a beta tester, and have no doubt I'll be using v2 shortly!

Last edited by Greyghost; 2008-05-01 at 15:12.

Originally Posted by Greyghost View Post
Sorry PB, I too got 'stuck' and I think I'll need to re-flash. I was about to do it but wanted to check this thread just in case.

To the best of my recollection, here's what happened. I downloaded the installer and began the install yesterday and reported that the d/l had stalled. I only had a few hours at work with connectivity, so when I left, it still hadn't budged, but, I thought, when I get home, I'll get connected again and let it resume.

Well, in the interim, my N810 ran out of battery power. When, after charging it, I turned it back on and the first thing I noticed was the fact that the "Personal Menu" app I'd installed and was using in place of my "Contacts" icon on the left side of the screen was 'missing'.

EDIT: I just noticed that the Status Bar elements, though checked, are not showing on the Home screen as well.

I checked the control panel and found that, although 'Personal Menu' still seems to be 'there', checking it does not restore it. In other words, 'Personal Menu' remains checked in the control panel but the Contacts icon still shows up (and has the contact links) on the home screen. Of course, there is the real possibility that attempting to install KDE had nothing to do with this

Ok, no sweat, I guess. I figured, hopefully, that if I finished the KDE install as planned, this problem would go away. Alas, opening the installation manger begins with a pop-up message that says 'Operation Failed' and trying to begin again by 'installing from file' pops up a message that says 'Not enough memory in target location'.

I have a clean 2GB card. I think it is clean, anyway, since I cannot see any files on it, but I haven't re-formatted it since the last re-flash was necessitated by the 'card bug' that went through here in the last month or so.

I hope this was enough info. It may be that losing the charge was the key error, and if you have any suggestions before I re-flash, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks again for working on this. I don't mind being a beta tester, and have no doubt I'll be using v2 shortly!

Shoot me an PM with IM info, and I will contact you to try to help fix

Always after ANY crash if booting from SD, you MUST run fsck

Well you dont HAVE to, but if you like to keep booting, its recommeded

boot to flash, as root run

fsck -y /dev/mmcblk0p2 (or 1p2) depending on your slot

Tags
deprecated, kde, kde35