Yes. If someone could suggest a good php-based chat system, I'll gladly install one.

Originally Posted by aflegg
True, but if the non-developers don't get a response to their "OMG!!11! LOL!11!! Teh 707 is teh r0x><0r2" comments they can *then* go elsewhere. Trying to form social groupings by dictat rather than evolution never seems to work, IME.
Well I already got some complaints when blabbering about off-topic marketing stuff like what's happening in the umpc world. Clearly some topics that are ok on ITT are not so welcome there. There is a distinction between general socializing and hard core technical information exchange so for some people a division like this could be welcome. A problem of course could be how to get the technical knowledge to a user-oriented channel so you may be very right there... (Seen it not work in practice before.)

NOTE: IRC channe has been changed to #itt for ease of use and length of channel name.
Feel free to join us at #itt on freenode!

I think a good idea was a php chat, no experience nessecary like irc. that way people visiting the site can just click a link and a new window will open and they can chat
I think the reason that msc is trying to start a new channel is for a taste of some power

I say leave power in the hands already containing it

Coolty: My idea was to have a channel for simple users, rather than a channel for developers such as #maemo. It also wasn't my intention for you to step in and take it over, I was just thinking perhaps I could help out simple users, with their day-to-day problems and questions. Some people may get intimidate in #maemo when there are conversations involving topics that may be too advanced for simple users.