Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
It will be nice to learn a bit of Linux, just for fun. But you don't need it at all.

I personally don't know how to 'brick' my N800 even if I wanted to. 'To brick' means 'to render permanently inoperative without factory intervention', though some people use it more loosely. Reflashing to get back to square one is common -- I've had to reflash my N800 more than 30 times in the last year, but I'm a pretty adventurous user and don't worry about stuff like knowing what I am doing

Well, I guess that taking a hammer to it (or putting it in the microwave for a long time?) would brick it nicely.

It's an amazing environment, that gets better and more amazing all the time.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I personally don't know how to 'brick' my N800 even if I wanted to. 'To brick' means 'to render permanently inoperative without factory intervention', though some people use it more loosely. Reflashing to get back to square one is common -- I've had to reflash my N800 more than 30 times in the last year, but I'm a pretty adventurous user and don't worry about stuff like knowing what I am doing

Well, I guess that taking a hammer to it (or putting it in the microwave for a long time?) would brick it nicely.
Rewriting the boot loader to something else would be the way to go about it. Ask Fanoush, if you ever need to know...

What are the benefits of the N810, other than the keypad?

Now *THAT* has been answered extensively and several times over here in the past two months ! just look around... (hint: there are drawbacks, too :-)

I took the jump and bought a n800 about 2 months ago, & I know nothing about linux!
I was debating between this & an ipod touch. I am sooo happy with my decision, as I am learning about all the things this little sucka can do!

I just hooked up a free VOIP phone the other day with my own phone number & voice mail to call anywhere in the US (via Grandcentral & Gizmo). Along with all the free software & games this thing kicks butt!!! All my friends were tippin out @ the million things this thing can do!
I use it mainly for media & surfing the net (and love Canola) <~~~Good job guys!

I was so worried about not understanding linux, but the guys on these forums are generally really cool and will answer your questions (if you use the feature search for first!). Also Krisse has set up a ton of newbie information on her website to help the basic non-linux person. It does take some learning and searching on your part, but can be highly rewarding.

The more research I did on NIT, the more I knew I wanted it (over iPod), I even used it to call my wife @ home while in Rio de Janeiro.

The Following User Says Thank You to flipside94 For This Useful Post:
Thanks. I'd never get an iPod, or anything Apple.

I like my toys to have a planned obsolescence time of longer than ten minutes.

I'll stick with the N800. I plan on getting a a mini bluetooth keyboard (anyone want to recommend one?). I don't need a GPS, either.

You guys are win, really. Quicker responses than expected.

Everything I read about this thing makes me want one more. Maemo has a BitTorrent client? Holy **** on a shingle, Batman.

Originally Posted by Rezigrene View Post
Everything I read about this thing makes me want one more. Maemo has a BitTorrent client? Holy **** on a shingle, Batman.
Lol I said the same thing when I saw Transmission ported... I need a huge Mini SD card now.

Posts: 134 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ New Jersey
Rezigrene, take the plunge. I've never used Linux or even Unix before buying my N800 (for about $218 on Buy.com back in December) and I'm absolutely in love with this thing. The only problems I have are my wife hates it and my kids want it.

One of the best things about it is ... it is better today than when I bought it. I install new s/w on it almost every week (without paying a dime) and can't imagine how I lived without each one. Now I want badly to get a keyboard for it so I can install DOSBOX and brush off my old DOS command line skills.

AND ... the guys on this forum are amazing when it comes to needing help. Like I said: no Linux experience here, and yet I'm using this thing like crazy. Even installed one application using the Red Pill mode.

Okay... enough from me. You decide for yourself. This is a wonder toy in my opinion.

DF