Notices

@Hedgecore

There is a frontend to tablet-encode as far as i know (java based).
I wrote another one in python/qt but i will have to port it from 770-encode to tablet-encode sometime.

Nokia Beta Labs just released the Internet Tablet Video Converter:With Nokia Internet Tablet Video Converter, you can easily convert your videos – the ones you shot yourself and the ones you downloaded from the Internet (legally of course) – into an optimized format for your Nokia Internet Tablet. All you need to do is drag and drop your videos into the application, which automatically converts them into a size and resolution that are just perfect for your Internet Tablet. The application is optimized for Nokia Internet Tablets such as N800 and N810.It currently runs only in Windows XP. Download it at Nokia Beta Labs.
Read the full article.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
I'm another Windowsless customer (all mac house + 2 NITs).

Not even going to read the article.

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
I was going to give this a try on my work laptop but administrative rights are required for installation.

At home I have only computers running Linux so this application is not useful for me. I'll keep on using tablet-encode instead.

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Of course, it's Windows only. Ugh.
It's meant for newbies, who are almost certainly running Windows. They've deliberately kept features to a minimum so that it's as easy to use as possible.

The idea is to help sell the N800/N810 to the consumer market, who may find existing converters too difficult to use.

There are already more complex, much more advanced third party video converters for other OSes including Linux.

i am using XP on the laptop at work so I can give u some feedback regarding the application.

the GUI is very nice, same layout as the one one the n800 and the encodes are pretty fast.

on the maximum setting i can encode a music video very fast but aldo it plays flawlessly on the n800 the PQ is very low, and blocky so I dont really like it

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Seattle-ish type area
Yeah, it sucks that it's Windows only, but Nokia is waking up. This, for example, was a huge deal a few months back, and with the exponential growth of open source OSes and OSX, plus the shift to web apps, the Windows only curse is being lifted. Plus, as noted above, there's still a large number of folks who are most familiar with Windows, and they (Nokia) want to expand the consumer base for the NITs. Of course they could be more egalitarian in their software offerings, but right now, it's a good move that gets them more potential users.

What's really big about this is that Nokia is hinting at a strategy for building a market for the NITs. Yeah, they may have skipped over some customers for now, but they're doing everything they can to encourage the platform itself. That's good for the future of the tablet.

Posts: 487 | Thanked: 152 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ London, UK
common, windows isnt THAT bad ... !!!
(im gonna get killed here, but i stand up to my choices )

Applications I've made:
- Vuvuzela
- LTM: London Tube Map

Originally Posted by El Amir View Post
common, windows isnt THAT bad ... !!!
(im gonna get killed here, but i stand up to my choices )
I don't see anyone here making an OS war out of it. It's simply a matter of "most of us aren't running it, so why would we install it just for this program?" and "if Nokia wants to give a useful tool to its users, they should consider more than just windows for that purpose, esp. since the device they're supporting is itself running linux".

Originally Posted by krisse View Post
It's meant for newbies, who are almost certainly running Windows.
Heh. I remember when that quote would have most certainly have ended with "a macintosh". :-}