Active Topics

Posts: 472 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Texas
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
Don't forget that the maps will add to the cost as well (try buying them yourself from TeleAtlas, they're certainly not free). And the navigation software will cost something too. The increased price (compared to the N800) obviously makes sense.
The maps are a free download, done directly from the Wayfinder app on the tablet. Only thing that costs is voice navigation. This is a similar setup to Nokia Maps. You can fully use it without paying a penny.

As for pricing themselves out of the market, I don't think they're worried. The N810/N800 is still not a consumer device. I think it's still closer to a geek device than a consumer device, but it's moving that direction, just not there yet.

I don't think they've priced themselves out of anything, personally. Hell, a standalone GPS unit with a 4" touchscreen alone is at least $400. Much less everything else included.

Exactly. Also, Nokia wants to differentiate between N800 and N810 also through pricing. And of course that just the initial retail price, will probably go down by about $50 sometime in the spring, after the Christmas sales period.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by rcadden View Post
The maps are a free download, done directly from the Wayfinder app on the tablet. Only thing that costs is voice navigation. This is a similar setup to Nokia Maps. You can fully use it without paying a penny.
Which was TA-t3's point. You don't have additional costs for maps after your purchase of a N810 because the cost is built into the price of the N810. That's likely the bulk of the price increase over the N800.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Then they should offer that $50 off price before Christmas in order to move more stock than waiting on later. That's not a smart move to think that it'll move only when you've exploited the early adopter money first while trying to become a consumer while not fully there yet.

Simply put, they're right outside of the area of "impulse buy" and the inevitable comparisons to the Apple iPod Touch - I know, I know, different market, item, sector, purpose, et al... but the average consumer won't see that until much, much later and usually it's places run by enthusiasts, like this site for instance, that do a lot of educating for those types if they seek it out - and it's going to sit on the shelves this Winter until Spring.

And by that time, the increased rumors of the N900 will steal possible sales from this machine.

I'm from from typical consumer, but equally distant from early adopter and the price on this item has me on the fence of "wait and see" if the price does drop a bit, or nab a N800 for as cheaply as I did my 770. Or wait for the N900... or see if Apple improves the iPhone (different item/gadget/purpose, I know already) or the iPod Touch.

Either way, the price increase is only being understood by the enthusiasts... not by the people that they need to be targeting... more consumers.

That's just my personal opinion. But one I'm willing to stick to...

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Then they should offer that $50 off price before Christmas in order to move more stock than waiting on later. That's not a smart move to think that it'll move only when you've exploited the early adopter money first while trying to become a consumer while not fully there yet.

Simply put, they're right outside of the area of "impulse buy" and the inevitable comparisons to the Apple iPod Touch - I know, I know, different market, item, sector, purpose, et al... but the average consumer won't see that until much, much later and usually it's places run by enthusiasts, like this site for instance, that do a lot of educating for those types if they seek it out - and it's going to sit on the shelves this Winter until Spring.

And by that time, the increased rumors of the N900 will steal possible sales from this machine.

I'm from from typical consumer, but equally distant from early adopter and the price on this item has me on the fence of "wait and see" if the price does drop a bit, or nab a N800 for as cheaply as I did my 770. Or wait for the N900... or see if Apple improves the iPhone (different item/gadget/purpose, I know already) or the iPod Touch.

Either way, the price increase is only being understood by the enthusiasts... not by the people that they need to be targeting... more consumers.

That's just my personal opinion. But one I'm willing to stick to...
The N810 is not a consumer device yet, IMO. It's still a geek toy. All of the other tablets have debuted at $400ish, so why should this be any different? I don't think $100 more (after taxes) is that big a deal, honestly.

And why not do the (rumored, keep in mind) price cut before christmas? The thing's only launching mid-November. They're not Apple, to cut the price before necessary.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by DingerX View Post
Yeah, 80 bucks more expensive.
Components added: GPS ($30 retail), 2 GB flash (necessary for holding those maps, $20), slider keyboard (price unknown).

The retail price is comprehensible: indeed, it makes perfect sense, but I suspect it's going in the wrong direction for widescale adoption.
And don't forget this is list. I expect retailers to eventually drop their price a bit (but it may go for list at launch).

I'd like to see a lower price ASAP, but given the additional features you cite (plus the maps as TA-t3 pointed out) I can see the rationale.

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
the price difference is too great between the n800 and the n810 though. If retailers hadn't started dropping the price on the n800, then yes, it makes sense that there's that little bit of a gap. But the difference between 240 (buy.com price) and 480 is a big gap. wait, its twice as much!

Originally Posted by phi View Post
the price difference is too great between the n800 and the n810 though. If retailers hadn't started dropping the price on the n800, then yes, it makes sense that there's that little bit of a gap. But the difference between 240 (buy.com price) and 480 is a big gap. wait, its twice as much!
The N800 has also been on the market for a year almost. Lol.

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
Yeah, but essentially, the underlying hardware is more or less the same.

Would you buy the same laptop you bought last year for twice the price just because it is a little bit smaller, came with a few extra peripherals and lost an expansion port as well?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Darius2006 View Post
I expect $700 in US
Why do you expect $700 in the US when the US price is listed at $479?