Notices

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York, US
Originally Posted by torx View Post
very nifty, but could use some polishing.
Like I said it's the VERY FIRST draft. That's why I posted it: if you guys find it useful then let's hear your feedback and ideas of improvement.

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
Nice idea. But maybe you can leave the orig size of the kb and just make that one transparent so we can use it everywhere in apps no only in xterm.

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
Great work! I have a few improvement ideas:

1. Icon in the taskbar. I managed to minimize the window and there was no way to bring it back up.

2. Menu option to hide the transparent keyboard. Currently it is not possible to select and copy text from xterm.

3. Outlined / shadowed font for the keys. It's a bit difficult to see the keys now when there is lots of text in the terminal.

4. Possibility to remap the keys. Maybe there could be another keyboard layout, which could be turned on using one key. For example, one of the backspace keys could be used for this. The current layout is great, but I was missing the Finnish letters "ä" and "ö" while chatting on IRC.

Originally Posted by Tragos View Post
Great work! I have a few improvement ideas:

1. Icon in the taskbar. I managed to minimize the window and there was no way to bring it back up.

2. Menu option to hide the transparent keyboard. Currently it is not possible to select and copy text from xterm.

3. Outlined / shadowed font for the keys. It's a bit difficult to see the keys now when there is lots of text in the terminal.

4. Possibility to remap the keys. Maybe there could be another keyboard layout, which could be turned on using one key. For example, one of the backspace keys could be used for this. The current layout is great, but I was missing the Finnish letters "ä" and "ö" while chatting on IRC.
1) this is strange; I have the app icon in the task bar, just like the original osso-xterm
2) I thought of that, we'll be done
3) yes, there are a lot of effects that can be applied to the fonts, I have to play w/ that
4) I was afraid of this; a generic way needs to be found to implement this

thanks for the input !
D.

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
I now found out why there was no icon in my 770's task bar. I had renamed the executable to "osso-xterm2" before running it. This was to prevent any conflict between this file and the previously installed Osso Xterm (advanced).

I changed the file back to its original name and now I get the icon, too.

Originally Posted by Tragos View Post
I now found out why there was no icon in my 770's task bar. I had renamed the executable to "osso-xterm2" before running it. This was to prevent any conflict between this file and the previously installed Osso Xterm (advanced).

I changed the file back to its original name and now I get the icon, too.
I just over wrote the old one. Figured if I don't like it I can uninstall and reinstall the original.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

Posts: 191 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Ottawa
Originally Posted by dnastase View Post
Sorry guys, make the terminal full screen and you'll see the full keyboard.

Also:

'Escape' is the Back/Return hard button (below the joystick).
'<' on the left, 2nd row is: Tab
'S' on the left, 3rd row is: Shift
'C' on the left, last row is: Control
'<' on the right, 1st and 2nd row: is Backspace
'C' on the right, last two positions on the 3rd row: Carriage Return/Enter
nothing on the right, last two positions: Space
Thanks, this helps ALOT!

I just wanted to let you know I just ran kismet completely with your transparent keyboard. It is a little busy, but completely useable. I was going to ask for arrow keys, and then I realized that the "joystick" works well for that.

Cool stuff! Perhaps you could rename the binary so that it doesn't conflict with the "other" one. Something like osso-xterm-tkbd. Will you be putting up the source? Also have you checked out pypackager (search the forum). It makes creating debs a breeze.

Thanks!

Craig..

Originally Posted by arjun-giri View Post
Nice idea. But maybe you can leave the orig size of the kb and just make that one transparent so we can use it everywhere in apps no only in xterm.
It would be certainly nicer to have the transparent keyboard available for all the tablet, but unfortunately that needs to be done at an entirely different level: that of the window manager. And I'm afraid I don't know that much about Hildon to achieve that.
The API itself is not very helpful as it standardizes the virtual keyboard plugin a liitle bit too much, such as space is always reserved for the keyboard so you can't have one that covers the whole screen (like the transparent one in xterm) because there is nothing left for the real window.

That's why I chose to implement it first in the xterm: it's easier.
On the other hand the xterm was the app that was most frustrating to use w/ the existent virtual keyboards.
I'm a guy who uses the terminal a lot, I don't care much for GUI, so if I can make it work in xterm that covers 90% of my tablet usage and I'm happy

Originally Posted by cvmiller View Post
Thanks, this helps ALOT!

I just wanted to let you know I just ran kismet completely with your transparent keyboard. It is a little busy, but completely useable. I was going to ask for arrow keys, and then I realized that the "joystick" works well for that.

Cool stuff! Perhaps you could rename the binary so that it doesn't conflict with the "other" one. Something like osso-xterm-tkbd. Will you be putting up the source? Also have you checked out pypackager (search the forum). It makes creating debs a breeze.

Thanks!

Craig..
Thanks for the feedback. As I said, I'm using it too already a lot. Of course we can tweak on it as much as we want but it's already very usable and that's good.
My opinion is that what's on the keyboard plus the hardware arrow keys and the escape cover most of the characters that an English keyboard would have. Maybe I could add the Alt key too, but it's not very necessary.

As you saw (and I tried it too) if I change the executable name then it doesn't appear in the task bar anymore and that would suck. I have to first figure it out.
What I did is add a command in the cpu/mem applet in the icon bar. And I run it from there.

Yes, of course I'll post my sources. Give me a chance to clean up my code. I don't want to make a bad impression

Thanks for the pypackager tip, I will check it out. I'm kind of lazy so that should help a lot

Daniel

Originally Posted by dnastase View Post
Hi,

One thing that I didn't like about the tablet is that I couldn't properly use the terminal while thumb typing. That's because the thumb keyboard hides the terminal entirely.
How can one use Midnight Commander for instance like that !?

Therefore I have modified the osso-xterm to show a "transparent" keyboard (it's actually only the symbols on a standard QWERTY keyboard) thus allowing to a more natural terminal use.

This is only the first version of the change, but it's functional and I already use it on my tablet.
Of course many improvements can be done, I'm waiting for your opinions.

I am attaching the executable as it is (no packaging) and I would be interested if anybody else finds it useful.
(Actually the .deb file I have attached is a .zip, so pls rename it and unzip it to get the osso-xterm executable. I did this because otherwise it wouldn't let me attach it).

Daniel
I have released a new executable. This time I put it on a web page: www.dnastase.info/nokia770. There is a screenshot, the zip file and a few notes.

The new things:
- fixed the colon - semicolon mishap
- made the kebyoard show properly when the terminal is not full screen
- added the key to hide the transparent keyboard, added menu item to toggle visibility