Active Topics

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
Originally Posted by timwatt View Post
surly WONTFIX just means some one at Nokia doesn't think its is worth the effort to fix.

I cant understand why Skype and SIP are not made to work the same way as GSM dialling?
No, it means it won't be fixed since it's not broken.

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Yes, I use Skype regularly..
However, it usually freezes when I talk longer than 10 minutes.

outbound calling for a simple phone number works well (+1555 666 7777) but about 30% of my contacts have extension numbers in the phone number eg: (+1555 666 7777 p 234. it work fine when dialling on GSM but I cant dial those number with skype as it says incompatible number.

some times i dial my bank and the number looks like this (+1 555 666 7777 p1p3p34567) there are lodes of phone serveses i use where i enter in numbers after I call.

I cant use those numbers in skype out.
I understand the need for "pauses" for entering extensions, and navigating ACD trees, but why would Skype as a whole fail because of the absence of that feature? Just setup the Skype entry to not have the pauses/extensions, and read them off the Cellular entry before dialing. The majority of the dialing will be automated via Skype, and the subsequent digits will be readily visible prior to the call.

Besides, Skype is going to roll out "party line" video calls, which will allow up to 5 connections on a video call.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computi...chat/?news=123

Last edited by colnago; 2010-05-05 at 21:48.

The Following User Says Thank You to colnago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
Just a comment.

I used the on-screen keypad while using Google Voice (no, I will not be handing out invites.), and it didn't work.

So I popped out the physical keyboard, and it worked every time I've tried.

Anyone else want to confirm/refute this?
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

outbound calling for a simple phone number works well (+1555 666 7777) but about 30% of my contacts have extension numbers in the phone number eg: (+1555 666 7777 p 234. it work fine when dialling on GSM but I cant dial those number with skype as it says incompatible number.

some times i dial my bank and the number looks like this (+1 555 666 7777 p1p3p34567) there are lodes of phone serveses i use where i enter in numbers after I call.

I cant use those numbers in skype out.

You can. But you just have to press the number slowly. I use skype out from desktop. and works fine for the extention or conference call.

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Brazil
Although I agree the contact list should support both Skype and "normal" calls, it is already a bold move from Nokia launching N900 with Skype out-of-the-box. Mobile carriers surely would prefer they hadn't...

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
n900 and Skype is my only phone.

bun

I use SkypeOut and SkypeIn on my n900 everyday. My SkypeIn numbers are Australian and US.

When at home, I call using skype out over WiFi (3G when out). It costs a fraction of my regular prepaid rates - I pay ~$10/month for more than enough prepaid 3G data on my n900, and barely touch the broadband usage.

Skype Video in PR1.2 is going to kick ***. When I'm in the US on a trip, I'll be able to call home and 'see' my wife and boy.

Skype was one of the main reasons I bought a n900 - second only to Linux and the goodies that brings (VPN, SSH, root access etc).

Posts: 362 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted by nermaljcat View Post
I use SkypeOut and SkypeIn on my n900 everyday. My SkypeIn numbers are Australian and US.

When at home, I call using skype out over WiFi (3G when out). It costs a fraction of my regular prepaid rates - I pay ~$10/month for more than enough prepaid 3G data on my n900, and barely touch the broadband usage.

Skype Video in PR1.2 is going to kick ***. When I'm in the US on a trip, I'll be able to call home and 'see' my wife and boy.

Skype was one of the main reasons I bought a n900 - second only to Linux and the goodies that brings (VPN, SSH, root access etc).
Just out of curiosity nermaljcat, what data plan are you on here in Australia?

Posts: 352 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Vancouver
Originally Posted by MohammadAG View Post
No, it means it won't be fixed since it's not broken.
try this below MohammadAG - this works with GSM dialling but not SIP or Skype -
please explain how this is defines as "not broken"

EXACT STEPS LEADING TO PROBLEM:

1. launch contacts
2. a contact with a number with "p" or "'" in it can not be dialled fromusing skype.

3. eg. +1604 555 5555 p 333 ("p" denotes a pause before dialling the DTMF 333)

4. yellow bar displays incorrect address.

EXPECTED OUTCOME:
+1604 555 5555 p 333 I expect the number to dial flowed by a pause followed by
the of 333.

the number with a "p" in it should dial exactly the same way it dials on the GSM network.

ACTUAL OUTCOME:
number does not dial
yellow bar displays incorrect address.

REPRODUCIBILITY:
always

EXTRA SOFTWARE INSTALLED:
no relevant