Active Topics

I have an iAudio X5L and my music sounds much, much better on it than the N800. But I will admit to limited testing. Most of what I have heard from the N800 were mp3s, but my iAudio has mostly OGGs--so not a fair fight. You have me curious to do more direct testing with the same files on each...which I think I'll do...

The tablet audio/speakers is great for watching video clips and listening to the radio. Listening to many types of music is fine for most people too. I wouldn't listen to Beethoven from it though, but then again I wouldn't listen to Beethoven on an iPod either.

Hmmm, you're bound to get a lot of mythology asking a question like that (the iPod Touch sounds a lot better than the iPhone, even though they use identical audio hardware? Really?)

In my opinion, with good headphones the N800 sounds as good as any portable music player playing the same files. Obviously your ears agree, since you can't hear any difference. (Mind you, I do know people with tin ears that can't hear obvious sound quality differences at all.)

Naturally that's not as quite good as a fine home sound system costing thousands of dollars playing uncompressed CDs. Wow, big news, stop the presses!

Well, your question finally drove me to test things out for myself and make a comparison.

I have a latest generation iPod 30g and the sound quality is no different between it and the n800 EXCEPT I find there is less hiss from the n800 and when no music is playing the audio port is completely silent.

I am using Ultimate Ears superfi 3's all all audio is 160kps vbr mp4.

So the big difference is what ear gear you are using to listen with. As was previously said, the Nokia buds are so bad they make Apple's earbuds sound fantastic. But when you've tried good audio you will never be satisfied with earbuds.

Neither the iPod or the n800 match the audio from my Sony Walkman but that is partially because of the excellent equalizer in it. The Walkman can produce more bass without distortion but it does have more hiss than the n800.

I'm glad I finally compared the n800 to the iPod. I already knew the Walkman was better than the iPod, but now I can say that the n800 produces audio equal to the iPod but with less hiss.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Dubai, UAE
I'm enough of an audiophile not to use in-ear earphones, and have a Technics RP-F880. It's not the best headphones out in the market by audiophile standards, but it beats a lot of the 'consumer' headphones.

Sound is pretty neutral, unlike many of the Sony Mega Bass type earphones which really add a lot of colour to the sounds.

Sadly, since I got my N800, my iPod's been collecting dust.

After reading this thread I decided to go back and try listening to the n800 again. It actually sounds pretty good. Not as good as my iriver, but still pretty decent. I hooked it up to my amp and my Sennheisers and am listening to it right now.

The first time I listened to it I was listening to beatles music that had a lot of noise in the background, which I thought was coming from the n800. I was wrong though and the signal is pretty clean.

Posts: 82 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ New Mexico, USA
I'm a hi-fi enthusiast who NEVER listens to anything on cheap stock earphones, except for the occasional voice podcast or streaming internet broadcasts, and my subjective experience is that the N800's sound quality is distinctly inferior to my iPod nano playing reasonably large sound files (i.e. 192 kbps and up). Not to mention the fact that the user interface for music playing on the N800 is a nightmare of flawed design and bugginess compared with the iPod's elegant functionality. (And regrettably, that goes for every last N800 player I've tried, from the stock media player to Canola and the rest.) But the N800 does so may other things superbly that I don't care about the mediocre music playback. The only way I'd consider the N800 as a primary music player is if I had a solid and sustained commitment to Rhapsody or last.fm; the N800 could be a pretty nifty output solution for those services. But I don't so it isn't, not for me.

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Getting clean audio to a standard 3.5 audio in jack found in cars and stereo equipment has been problematic.
Dunno, I had no trouble. The Mic connector gets shorted to ground on a standard 3-pole connector, doesn't cause any problem.
BTW, it's not the equipment that limits audio quality. MP3's @ even 192kHz leave something to be desired... IMHO
Wrong. The equipment does limit sound quality... because anyone serious about sound isn't using MP3s. It's a valid point that MP3 sucks for audiophiles, but the IT can deal with Vorbis or even FLAC, so you can get better quality. I'm quite sure with 48 kHz FLAC the equipment is the limiting factor.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Dubai, UAE
Originally Posted by HalSF View Post
I'm a hi-fi enthusiast who NEVER listens to anything on cheap stock earphones, except for the occasional voice podcast or streaming internet broadcasts, and my subjective experience is that the N800's sound quality is distinctly inferior to my iPod nano playing reasonably large sound files (i.e. 192 kbps and up). Not to mention the fact that the user interface for music playing on the N800 is a nightmare of flawed design and bugginess compared with the iPod's elegant functionality. (And regrettably, that goes for every last N800 player I've tried, from the stock media player to Canola and the rest.) But the N800 does so may other things superbly that I don't care about the mediocre music playback. The only way I'd consider the N800 as a primary music player is if I had a solid and sustained commitment to Rhapsody or last.fm; the N800 could be a pretty nifty output solution for those services. But I don't so it isn't, not for me.
On that note, I'd also argue that the iPod really sucks as an Internet Tablet

Not to mention the fact that the user interface for web browsing on the iPod/iPhone is a nightmare of flawed design and bugginess compared with the N800's elegant functionality.

My iPod Photo (a gift from my dad years ago) holds 30GB of music, while my N800 has got 8GB of music and videos (so far - waiting for my other 2 x 16GB SDHCs to arrive) -- each have their purpose in my simple life

That's the whole point right there:

"Each has their purpose"

And so do mine. I have a few songs on my n800 but mostly I listen to music on my Walkman. My iPod gets used because it holds *everything* and so if I want something that is a bit unusual or an audiobook, I use the iPod.

The iPod was a gift and it certainly gets the least amount of use out of these three devices.

Anyone who has a n800 can rest assured that the audio quality is not inferior to the iPod in any way.