Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
Remote user:
Well, the bat files that I mentioned earlier are pretty much the same thing as this, but require a bit of tweaking with a notepad to get them to work. As you can see, this 0.10 version actually uses a bat file (encode.bat) to make the call to mencoder. I should be able to drop the need for the bat file pretty soon. That would also allow me to try to make an osx compatible version of this.

Originally Posted by konttori
divxz:
I'm certain that it won't make the conversion on your tiger, even after installing latest java, as the mencoder component in it is windows specific. Did the user interface work on your apple?

On the bright side, there exists a version of mencoder for osx as well. Alas, as I don't have a mac, I cannot easily make a version that would do the trick on an apple. I can try to have a look at it tomorrow.
The UI looked perfect and behaved very well. But, knowing that the encoder is win-specific explains why the app didn't do anything for me!

If you feel like playing around with any Mac stuff, I'd be happy to help you test.

divxz:
There is now an osx version that *may* / *might* work if stars are in correct positions and gods willing. So, if you have the interest to test it out, you can do so here:
www.helsinki.fi/~konttori/MediaConverterOSX.zip
Ok, if that isn't working, then I'll try to get access to a mac somehow and test it out there. I've bundled OSX mencoder there, but without a mac, well... No way to be even sure if the mencoder works, let alone be sure if I have modified the call to the encoder in a correct fashion.

Originally Posted by konttori
divxz:

www.helsinki.fi/~konttori/MediaConverterOSX.zip
Ok, if that isn't working, then I'll try to get access to a mac somehow and test it out there. I've bundled OSX mencoder there, but without a mac, well... No way to be even sure if the mencoder works, let alone be sure if I have modified the call to the encoder in a correct fashion.
Just tried it. The app loaded and looked good. Tried a couple of files but no output resulted. I ran the encoder directly and this is what I saw:

AltiVec found
Reading /Users/divxz/.mplayer/codecs.conf: can't open '/Users/patrick/.mplayer/codecs.conf': No such file or directory
Reading /usr/local/etc/mplayer/codecs.conf: can't open '/usr/local/etc/mplayer/codecs.conf': No such file or directory
Using built-in default codecs.conf
File not found: 'frameno.avi'
Failed to open frameno.avi
Reading config file /Users/divxz/.mplayer/mencoder: No such file or directory

Might I need additional components installed?

Try installing that. I thought the mencoder would be standalone as it is for windows. Perhaps it isn't.
You can download full mencoder from:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/m...7.sit?download

I'd been planning how to get a media conversion setup running, and lo, you came through for me!

I used it on a short xvid of mine, worked beautifully! Gonna try 'Lost' tomorrow when my 512MB RS-MMC gets here.

Thanks again!

Nice to hear that. If you guys have any ideas on how to improve it, just let me know.

OSX and Windows versions have both now been updated.
New in this release:
- OSX version
- Windows installer
- Minor fixes

Can someone try installing the windows version and confirm that the installer is working?

I just made the installer and I have no clue if it only works on my computer or if it actually works on others computers as well.

Oh, feedback is very welcome!

Special thanks to Mikko Kiesilä and divxz in getting the OSX version up and running!

Last edited by konttori; 2005-12-07 at 14:02.

konttori's Media Converter is working (Windows) but there was (for me) a wrong path in .bat file. After correction OK.

konttori is using in his Converter an adjustable videobitrate but with max 300 kbps. Mpeg1-video which is about 1150 kbps as standard is supported by the 770. There is unfortenately some annoying extra softness on 770 display because all videos (e.g.
352x208) are stretched to 800/600 x 480/360 which make comparisions quite subjective.

Is 300 kbps some kind of practical/theoretical/official max. videobitrate for the 770?

Media converter uses mpeg 4, which nokia 770 can decode at tops 300 kbps.
I got the info from here:
http://maemo.org/maemowiki/VideoEnco...ht=%28video%29

Somebody have used mpeg 1 as well, but then you have to use bigger bitrate to get good results -> bigger filesize -> less videos mmc.

Has anyone tried mpeg 4 with higher bitrate than 300kbps? If so, how have the results been? I'm not much around the computer for the rest of the day, so I can't test now.