Active Topics

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by code177 View Post
I submitted a brainstorm proposal for a Mobile Banking Widget.

Here's the brief:

I think it would be really useful to have a widget on the desktop which shows an overview of your accounts and their balances, maybe updated once a day or on demand, or something. I figure it would be a simple text output:
CHQ1 $160.54
SAV1 $1401.76
RENT $600.00
BILLS $55.02

Most banks and credit unions these days supply a SMS based mobile banking system, where you text say, "bal all" (balance all) to their 5 digit (in north america) sms number. They then return a message like (example from vancity):

Balance
BAL1: $xx.xx
BAL2: $xx.xx
BAL3: $xxx.xx

Up to 6 in one message.
Theoretically you could have the device parse the incoming message and store the data for the widget. A timer could be run to send a "bal all" sms message to the specified number once in a while to retrieve new data. As most people have extremely high text plans (1000+) this shouldnt be an issue.
I have to say that sounds like a VERY scary proposition.

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
zerojay
its not your kettle of fish, but for certain people I could imagine that being very important.
the text messaging API has been demonstrated already with the Nokia N900 Push! people with the radio and the speak & spell devices.
What is conceived is entirely possible and should not be ruled out due to it being something we personally may not desire.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by elimoon8 View Post
I've heard the Fremantle calendar doesn't currently sync to Google Calendar. Would it be possible to get a widget that shows upcoming Google Calendar Events (similar to the home widget for the N8X0s - I believe it's called mgCal). It may work on Fremantle, but I don't know if the style matches the Fremantle style.
Fremantle calendar can sync with Google Calendar thanks to the recent release of Google Sync. Just need to use Mail for Exchange for it.

Originally Posted by lcuk View Post
zerojay
its not your kettle of fish, but for certain people I could imagine that being very important.
the text messaging API has been demonstrated already with the Nokia N900 Push! people with the radio and the speak & spell devices.
What is conceived is entirely possible and should not be ruled out due to it being something we personally may not desire.
I have no idea what you're referring to here.

i cannot leave here without suggesting my graffiti based calendar

I have discussed it with fiferboy and as long as technical issues can be managed would make a nice addition

The Following User Says Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
I have no idea what you're referring to here.
i mean to this:

Originally Posted by zerojay
I have to say that sounds like a VERY scary proposition.

Originally Posted by lcuk View Post
i mean to this:
Oh... you have no problem with your banking details and everything being accessable/stolen?

It's not that I don't like the idea. I just think it's *very* dangerous.

I've added it to the list anyways. (And in the cases that I haven't added them to the list, it's most likely because there already is a widget for that purpose.)

Last edited by zerojay; 2009-10-02 at 19:15.

the same details would be available whether in conversations SMS list or on a desktop widget.
if you use the service, you use it.

excellent @ listing all!

Posts: 199 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ gbg.se
"Flashlight" -- press it to get a white screen at max intensity.. Could that be done?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nymajoak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
A ruler.

PS: Did anybody already mention screenlets.org? I guess this could be a VERY nice upstream source, because according to the linked site:
* Easy to use, easy to develop
* Hundreds of Screenlets available
* Works with any composited X desktop (compiz, xfce4, ...)
* Included themeing-abilities (SVG, PNG or mixed)
* Fully scalable when using SVGs
* Embedded drag&drop-support
* Automated storing of options (using ini or gconf)
* Controllable through customizable DBus-service
* Free, open-source and released under the GPL
* Uses cairo and GTK2 for drawing and windowing

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Originally Posted by nymajoak View Post
"Flashlight" -- press it to get a white screen at max intensity.. Could that be done?
Easily. However, this might be more practical to be solved with a normal app for which you just add a shortcut on the desktop.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to twaelti For This Useful Post:

Tags
fremantle, requests, widgets