Notices

Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by Mr.Rent View Post
so, why all the other phone on the planet..even for 50 euros have this feature?
Really? Show me a modern handset for 50 USD that has 3G video calling please, proper retail cost.

I'm sorry you can say what you want, but there is no logical/technical/commercial reason for this lack, i can leave withouth it but I have the right to be upset, when I read the specs on 3 website it was written under 3g videocall: "will be released in the future"... they lied!
Actually, there are plenty of reasons, technical/logical & commercial as to why the N900 doesn't have 3G video calling.

In a related note, having video calling through skype is a much better idea, not just because of quality and cost. But also more people use skype for video calling than 3G, from what I can tell.

The Following User Says Thank You to tswindell For This Useful Post:
The problem with 3G video calling is that the networks don't fully support it.
If this was the case we'd be able to make a 3G video call whenever and wherever we like.
Take a look at any 3G coverage map and you'll see why. 3G blackspots abound.

I've said it time and time again, it wasn't just Nokia that ruined the N900's chances. The networks did the most damage IMO. T-Mobile, Orange and 3 refused to stock the phone because they couldn't fill it with their restrictive branding and WAP only services and apps. And their refusal to invest in their networks is evident in the fact that they are all now bringing in restrictions and caps on the internet services.

To make a 3G video call, both handsets have to be within a 3G area with a good strong signal, no blackspots and no dropouts. That just doesn't work in the real world. Not even on the iPhone, Android, WP7, Symbian or WebOS.

Originally Posted by tswindell View Post
Really? Show me a modern handset for 50 USD that has 3G video calling please, proper retail cost.
72 euros

http://www.pixmania.com/it/it/638961...ui&from=kelkoo

Originally Posted by tswindell View Post
Actually, there are plenty of reasons, technical/logical & commercial as to why the N900 doesn't have 3G video calling.

In a related note, having video calling through skype is a much better idea, not just because of quality and cost. But also more people use skype for video calling than 3G, from what I can tell.
it depends of the place you live, not in italy, we are backward(?)
and very few people stay online with their brand new smartphone with skype open.

but my problem is mostly about 3 italy communication, it was not clear.

bye
Mr. Rent

Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
72 euros

http://www.pixmania.com/it/it/638961...ui&from=kelkoo
That's not retail cost, that's some bargain store website. You could probably find an N95 for cheaper than that on ebay, but that isn't the point is it.

My point is, despite people *****ing about it, no one except a very tiny consumer base use 3G video calling. The OP is just complaining for the sake of it, he probably doesn't even care about video calling, he's probably more pissed that he feels he bought the wrong thing. And rather than take responsibility for his own actions, like a lot of end user types on this forum, he's venting in yet another duplicate thread.

Thanks again, move along.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tswindell For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,103 | Thanked: 368 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ india, indore
Originally Posted by vkv.raju View Post
I don't know about the rates at your place but when 3G was introduced in India, my prepaid plan offered video calls at 50p per minute. Same as the voice call rates. And even after 1 year, I think the rates are still the same.

50p = 0.5 INR and 1$ = 45 INR.
me too indian and missing video call because it is same rates as voice calls!

Posts: 212 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on May 2010 @ India
@tswindell
1.since you asked him he came up with something
2.Threads will be growing if some problem is there.I believe most of the people knew that they cant make 3g video call when they bought it.some where in this forum it was said that Nokia has FM receiving hardware even when there was no such software.I have been waiting for that one day Nokia would care 3G video calling lovers.
3.There is no reason why somebody must be angry on someone just because they asked a basic question.Afterall they are asking NOKIA.
4.BTW i love columbus .Its great

The Following User Says Thank You to udaychaitanya16 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 404 | Thanked: 186 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Dehradun,India
Originally Posted by vkv.raju View Post
I don't know about the rates at your place but when 3G was introduced in India, my prepaid plan offered video calls at 50p per minute. Same as the voice call rates. And even after 1 year, I think the rates are still the same.

50p = 0.5 INR and 1$ = 45 INR.
The quality is what that matters in video call. Even with such low vga front camera in any 3G phone the video sluters.
I have tried Bsnl 3G,Tata docomo,Airtel 3G and all doen't have good video call.Haven't tried vodafone though.
Maybe in Metro cities +few other cities they offer good quality video call but not everywhere.
Airtel is what disappointed me most.

Originally Posted by udaychaitanya16 View Post
@tswindell
2.Threads will be growing if some problem is there.I believe most of the people knew that they cant make 3g video call when they bought it.some where in this forum it was said that Nokia has FM receiving hardware even when there was no such software.I have been waiting for that one day Nokia would care 3G video calling lovers.
3.There is no reason why somebody must be angry on someone just because they asked a basic question.Afterall they are asking NOKIA.
What are you on about? The N900 has built in FM receiver and transmitter...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to teh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 404 | Thanked: 186 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Dehradun,India
Originally Posted by udaychaitanya16 View Post
@tswindell
1.You never tried FM radio I assume.There is Fm radio for N900.just install it.
2.We not angry but we are fed up of these useless post being posted every week and sometimed even on same day. There is SEARCH button on top so use it as it says in general guide "Read before posting".

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Depending on where the phone is selling, video calling might just be downright impossible. Until I got the N900 I didn't even really know there was such a thing as video calling already available on Symbian phones - why? Because it's so not-supported or not-used in the USA that we just don't see it here. At least in all the circles I've interacted with, which is more along the average 'dumb-phone' public.

Now places like India might be nice enough to offer them at reasonable rates, which is nice to hear - and I think they should have included the features as well - but on the other hand, look at the N900 release originally - it, if I recall correctly, came out delayed, much like most Nokia high-end products lately. If they had taken the time to add another video calling feature, it would've been delayed even longer and people would still hate them for it, and god forbid it was at all buggy, or people would ***** about how "they had all this time and couldn't get it right" or whatever. We know Nokia was fragmented internally, with dev teams internally that weren't necessarily competing per se, but had limited resources between them to get things done.

Yes it'd be nice to have video calling. But we have video chat, which works over 3G too, and unlike video calling, in a large portion of the world can be used cheaper and with more people than video calling per se.

Tags
bada rox, double rainbow, tech unicorns