Active Topics

Originally Posted by spinnukur View Post
I don't know if you're talking about T-Mobile in the US or in Europe, but the smartphone data plan in the US is $34.99 includes unlimited text, not the 300 limit that you stated.
Ah, your referring to this? TMobile. And it's $25 without the text and email? I think those are internet only plans that do not include voice.

I think the plans I mentioned were add-on plans which can only be accessed after you agree to a voice plan. This is where I got the info Maemo Wiki: Data Plans for that.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 569 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ District of Columbia
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Ah, your referring to this? TMobile. And it's $25 without the text and email? I think those are internet only plans that do not include voice.

I think the plans I mentioned were add-on plans which can only be accessed after you agree to a voice plan. This is where I got the info Maemo Wiki: Data Plans for that.
Yeah, the smartphone plan with unlimited text, I was told when I signed up the other day that the smartphone plan automatically comes with unlimited text. So I dunno if there's more than one smartphone plan.

The way I was told, $19.99 data for regular phones, $34.99 for smartphones and $34.99 for Crackberrys

Mobile city online has N900 for $579.99 (free 3 day shipping).

For Canadian shoppers, mobilecityonline will ship to Canada. Also, they do not charge taxes unless you live in New York

When I first saw this thread I was like.... oh my god, one of those $300 n900 scammers hacked Laughing Man's account and is posting ads

@overfloat,

Haha, no fear. I just wanted a central place to put pricing info. Especially as the device nears release date. Whenever anyone suggests a retailer I'm not familar with though I try to do review checks.

Thanks to everyone so far who's brought additional sellers to my attention. I'm a bit unsure about how to handle retailers that would ship to Canada though. Is there additional tax, customs, or whatever you have to go through?

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
@overfloat,

Haha, no fear. I just wanted a central place to put pricing info. Especially as the device nears release date. Whenever anyone suggests a retailer I'm not familar with though I try to do review checks.

Thanks to everyone so far who's brought additional sellers to my attention. I'm a bit unsure about how to handle retailers that would ship to Canada though. Is there additional tax, customs, or whatever you have to go through?
Not to Canada no, as long as the device category is covered under NAFTA, then you'll have no custom's tax ( international strategic policy/law is my specialty ).

On another note, I decided to keep my order with Amazon, I thought about canceling and going with Buy.com but Amazon's customer service is awesome and I've never had a problem with them.

The Following User Says Thank You to spinnukur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
Not to Canada no, as long as the device category is covered under NAFTA, then you'll have no custom's tax ( international strategic policy/law is my specialty ).

On another note, I decided to keep my order with Amazon, I thought about canceling and going with Buy.com but Amazon's customer service is awesome and I've never had a problem with them.
Interesting, i thought that it was related to where the device was made, not its product category...

Also, anyone knows if MobileCityOnline uses USPS to ship to Canada?
(Die UPS/FedEx arbritrary fees, DIE!)

EDIT: I wrote a few hours ago to MobileCityOnline, still waiting for an answer on their shipping carrier...

Last edited by R-R; 2009-10-10 at 04:36.

Really? I was sure that there is a chance of getting dinged with brokerage fees and other duty fees especially since the device is pretty expensive.

Originally Posted by unkno View Post
Really? I was sure that there is a chance of getting dinged with brokerage fees and other duty fees especially since the device is pretty expensive.
If the device was directly shipped from Finland to Canada than yes, there would be an import tax, but if a product is brought into the US, than sold by a US entity to a member of NAFTA than depending on it's category of affiliation it is not subject to export or import tax.

Ex. I'm a company in the US, I buy a product from TokyoFlash ( Japan watch company ), which I then list on my website as a product that I sell, I can ship said product to Canada without any taxes depending on it's category affiliation outlined during the NAFTA negotiations of 1988 and post-signatory amendments.

Although it's frowned upon, this practice of trade has been going on for quite sometime. At the recent G20 summit this particular issue was brought up between the Canada and the US, though in the past Mexico has opposed banning this type of trade because of the amount of monetary influx it receives into their economy ( which desperately needs every single dollar )

Last edited by spinnukur; 2009-10-10 at 04:49.

So I was wondering about a few things about these prices..

1) I think Amazon does pre-order sales to get people more interested and buying the product. But usually after its over they raise the price back up to what it normally is for a while (at least that's true for videogames). Anyone see them do it for hardware? Trying to decide if I wanna wait and see or just pre-order now.

2) If I decide to buy it in a physical store like at TMobile, do I have to pay sales tax there then? What if the phone is subsidized? (I'm guessing yes).