Active Topics

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
@ Hedgecore:

I tried that, but I happen to live in a brick house that was apparently constructed to be tank-proof: if I set my radio to 10 mw, I lose all signal on the other side of one wall.

Still, we are planning our move to a sunnier part of the world (Thailand) and the house we're building over there is going to be a lot more WiFi-friendly. So I'll keep your advice stored for later use, okay?

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I was always under the impression that the radio stays powered when in online mode (but not necessarily online), but that the 770 lets the connection timeout to conserve *some* power. I could be totally wrong though.

The manual is a little ambiguous. But when connecting the 770 for VNC, if I haven't made a WiFi connection, or if I haven't used the browser for a few minutes, VNC will tell me that it is unable to make the connection. I took that to mean the 770 switches off WiFi after x amount of minutes.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I remember someone saying they tried continuous ping requests, at four seconds they got replies, at 5 they got timeouts. (This was with *no* other network activity). Looks like it's pretty aggressive power saving.

The bars are really unreliable for battery - like on cell phones - you could get half the bars and then you reboot it and it could complain about battery.

Thanks to Hedge for the 10 mW tip, should make a bit of a difference, I would not have thought you can change such settings with the provided GUI.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by dandrewk
Hedge - I think the WiFi turns off after a user-option amount of minutes. Isn't that the same as being offline in terms of battery life?

I have also noticed a lot of X-terminal usage is a big drain. Maybe because that app is such a memory hog?

And of course, display settings have a huge impact.
Bluetooth is still online if you won't go for the offline mode.