Active Topics

Originally Posted by jnwi View Post
Root access out of the box
Sorry.. this is just a minor pet peeve of mine. I don't think it comes with root "out of the box".. you have install "an app for that" (although it's not really an "app" so much as a script that modifies the phone.. but anyway..) I would love for it to come with root "out of the box".. that would be epic.. but sadly - everything I've read said "no, install rootsh first."

Anyhoo... please continue the pointless fanboi flamewar thread. Just consider my post another pro-Nokia fanboi* one. I don't have an N900 merely because I can't afford the money.. not because I don't think it's worth the money. Its the coolest phone I've witnessed yet.

*Just so I don't try to sound too sane, an impossibility for anyone to claim responding to a thread like this, I need to insert some silly fanboyishness that is totally irrelevant to anyone or anything.. otherwise I run the risk of being off topic. "Nokia Rules, You Drool!"

There we go.. I think I'm in the clear now....
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
er....not to bring this in here but which other phones have portrait and landscape support for the desktop/homescreen?

Originally Posted by nosa101 View Post
er....not to bring this in here but which other phones have portrait and landscape support for the desktop/homescreen?
Erm.. android has both for the home screen and all the 5 desktops? At least.. my rooted one does.. I haven't had a vanilla android in ages .

Unless I didn't understand the question... entirely a probability.

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Erm.. android has both for the home screen and all the 5 desktops? At least.. my rooted one does.. I haven't had a vanilla android in ages .

Unless I didn't understand the question... entirely a probability.
well i guess i am mistaken. the nexus one i played with couldn't do this. the droid only did it when the keyboard was slid out. the pre and iphone definitely don't do it

Originally Posted by nosa101 View Post
well i guess i am mistaken. the nexus one i played with couldn't do this. the droid only did it when the keyboard was slid out. the pre and iphone definitely don't do it
Yeah mine will actually rotate with or without the keyboard in/out just by tilting it.

And in fact (and I am positive this is *only* rooted versions do this one) - It will go landscape both ways. If I have the phone one way, flip it upside down, the screen flips rightside up again.

Portrait doesn't do this though.

Any case: Android itself is obviously capable.. but whether any phones out there do it by default (aside the N900 I guess?) or not is unknown to me.

Posts: 96 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ India
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I think this is actually new out of the 1,000-or-so threads like it: a serialized rant.

You may claim this to b a rant...but i believe i'm entitled to put forth my opinions.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by rcarlos View Post
You may claim this to b a rant...but i believe i'm entitled to put forth my opinions.
Who said you aren't?

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Who said you aren't?
Well, OBVIOUSLY you Tex. Because, saying anything about ranting (even something positive) totally means you think people should just shut up and color....

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Well it may have raised the bar for internet tablets.
The N900 is a developers device not a phone for general use.
It is not a multimedia device or even a smartphone yet...imo

Originally Posted by TylerD View Post
Well it may have raised the bar for internet tablets.
The N900 is a developers device not a phone for general use.
It is not a multimedia device or even a smartphone yet...imo
internet tablet > smartphone.

The N900 is an awesome internet tablet. But it is the first internet tablet to include cellphone functionality. Considering this is the first time Nokia tried to put a cellphone in a MID, the functionality doesn't quite replace phone-centric devices like the N95 yet. But I trust it will get better soon. Or maybe later. Eventually.

Tags
complaint, hit the bar, less than zero, noise