Active Topics

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
You don't get it. HTML5 doesn't limit the use of closed, DRM'ed video. Moreover, the W3C is contemplating about an API in the HTML5 standard which can be used by third parties to implement their custom DRM. In both cases you'd need plug-ins for your browser to be able to see the video.

The chance that netflix will stream their media in open, DRM free standards are null. The chance that you can view netflix on your N9 is zero.

While the music industry has (partially) improved things, the motion picture industry still hasn't. It ties people to closed software, and for some reason people keep willfully or ignorantly paying for their own shackles.

Also, don't be misguided by HTML5 in general. Imho, the hole concept is "meh" at best.
I do get it.. but what I wa trying to get to is that only thing that's stopping us to view the HTML5 Netflix is the plugin that Netflix created.. All I was wondering is about the possibility if a developer can actually implement netflix's plugin into the app and have the app behave like a browser (wrapper?) that connects directly to their site... so it's not really porting their code perse... just like a work around..

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
That plug-in will be native code. Even if such plug-in is made for Android (and hence, ARM) it will be extremely closed, and not very compatible with N9. Also, I guess they will rely on an app instead of a browser plug-in, of which I'm not even sure that is supported on mobile devices (yet).

I really wouldn't count on it. People have been bitching on vendor lock-in to Microsoft, Windows and Internet Explorer. Well guess what, the lock-in is still there. Android and iOS have been added to the list, but people are still locked-in.