Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 144 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Switzerland
I do hope Maemo and/or Nokia are logging and analysing the IP addresses of the critical posters on these forums. I'm thinking that rather a lot of them might come from the ranges of Google, Motorola, Samsung and Apple, amongst others. I find it's been getting rather shilly in here recently.

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Illinois, USA
Originally Posted by Insead View Post
Seriously the 90% of the things I do off my laptop are vastly superior on the iPhone.
The iphone's been out for over 3 years.

Give the n900 a year and it will catch up to what your iphone can do today. It sounds like the n900 can do most of the stuff out of the box that your iphone needs to be taken through a risky jailbreaking session (which deprives it of updates, fyi) and then have pirated apps loaded onto it.

At this point, saying the iPhone can do something "better" is like saying ice cream with sprinkles is better than just ice cream. Who really gives a ****?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
And yet... and yet... many others offer a more positive assessment... and not all are developers.

Amazingly enough, feelings for devices are (brace yourself) subjective, and anything but universal.

But I sure get a kick out of the religious views on either side of this one...
Sure, I agree, views are obviously subjective and it's down to you to decide what is important.

I sure hope no ones care enough about a phone to get 'religous' about it.
It's a phone - not a lifestyle choice. I can use my iPhone and be as much as a geek as the geekiest N900-owner. The only difference, to ME, is that I made a smarter choice in what phone/mobile computer I got.

As an example, a conversation that could happen:

N900-owner: Whatcha doing applefanboy?

iPhone-owner: Nothing much. Just playing Terminator Salvation on my iPhone and torrenting some stuff.

N900-owner: Games are for lamers. I use my N900 for typing in commands in the terminal. I'd show you but I couldn't fit both the N900 and the laptop in my case..and there is no wifi here for my laptop.

iPhone-owner: No problem, let me setup a MiFi with my iPhone and you can surf using that. I'll switch over to that app.

N900-owner: No wait...can I just try that game for a bit...

All in good humor

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Philly USA
I had an Iphone which I am embarrased to admit,I hated it. I got rid of it after only a week or so. Honestly it is the oppisite for me, the N900 feels like a shiny new Lexus, even in its infinate stage, the Iphone felt like a used Pinto, I abosolutly hated it. I was all excited before I got my Iphone,got it,and hated it so much i was going to just give it away for free to my brother, which he is a apple fan boy. I am really enjoying my N900, and cant wait to see what the future will bring.

can i be your brother? i want gadgets too XD

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Hotshot View Post
I dont know how many iphone users i converted over to different devices by showing them how to really get more use out of there phones.
Could you just list the top five things you show them?
I'm open to the possibility that I've missed something.

I once had an iphone, i now have the n900, im sticking to the n900. Phone out for two weeks and you get twats complaning about no apps etc. I remember i had the iphone 2 weeks before it was out in uk, not much apps for it back then.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Insead View Post
Sure, I agree, views are obviously subjective and it's down to you to decide what is important.

I sure hope no ones care enough about a phone to get 'religous' about it.
It's a phone - not a lifestyle choice. I can use my iPhone and be as much as a geek as the geekiest N900-owner. The only difference, to ME, is that I made a smarter choice in what phone/mobile computer I got.

As an example, a conversation that could happen:

N900-owner: Whatcha doing applefanboy?

iPhone-owner: Nothing much. Just playing Terminator Salvation on my iPhone and torrenting some stuff.

N900-owner: Games are for lamers. I use my N900 for typing in commands in the terminal. I'd show you but I couldn't fit both the N900 and the laptop in my case..and there is no wifi here for my laptop.

iPhone-owner: No problem, let me setup a MiFi with my iPhone and you can surf using that. I'll switch over to that app.

N900-owner: No wait...can I just try that game for a bit...

All in good humor
That was all the thread was missing up until now: a straw man.

You got the gist of what I was saying it seems, and yet there's still some iPhone religion in your words. That's okay, it's just meant to balance out the N900 religion on this Maemo-oriented forum... right?

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
@Insead

Really? Really?

N900 can torrent stuff, with a GUI! The horror!!!
N900 can play games and emulators, and with a keyboard and wii support it is actually playable
I am sure you can use IPtables or something to share the 3G connection
Why would you put the N900 in a case? It goes in your pocket....

Oh, and you can't do any of that stuff without jailbreaking your iphone, which no matter how safe it is is a risk.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

In terms of gaming I dislike accelerometer games / touch screen games. Bounce, whilst having amazing graphics, isn't all that fun to play. A whole system of those kind of games would just peeve me off.

Emulators with hardware keys anydays.

Closed Thread